Joining plates for bench

I'm in the later stages of making a new welding bench, and the top will be two layers of 8mm steel plate (it was to hand!)

I want to weld them together but am concerned about distortion - what do the team suggest? I was thinking of drilling a matrix of holes right through one plate, then plug welding up flush so hopefully as the weld solidifies it will pull the two plates tightly together - but will I end up with a saucer shaped top? 8mm is pretty hefty but is it thick enough to resist too much distortion?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You are sure to buckle the plates. Save the second piece for later. Tack weld a 1/4 by 2 inch flat bar on edge across the underside of the plate every four inches and it will be as rigid as you will ever need. Those tacks should be about one inch long every six inches.... no more! Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman