keeping sheet metal roll rolls from rusting?

I am nearly done restoring an old sheet metal roll. I chucked up the rolls in the lathe and used 3M pads to remove the oxide so they are once again clean and shiny looking. But they're just steel, and furthermore it would seem to me that putting oil (or wax) on them would make them less effective at gripping a sheet to force it against the 3rd roller to roll it.

So what to do? Make a cover for it and always keep it slightly heated? Or go ahead and wax anyway with Johnson's? Use LPS-1 every so often but clean them before using?

trying to not reinvent the wheel here ..

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant Erwin wrote in news:475adf12$0$26099$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

Sawblade wax :)

Reply to
Anthony

Some or all of the above. I use Simichrome polish occasionally on the rollers of my jeweler's rolling mill to keep them polished and bright. At the end of the working day, I spritz them with whatever spray lube is at hand, usually good 'ol WD40. Then I have a heavy cloth semi-saturated with Breakfree/CLP that I drape over the mill. A cut-off tee shirt goes over that to keep off the shop dust.

Before using it, I do a quick wipe with a soft cloth to take off any excess lube.

This regime seems to work, I've had the mill almost 10 years and the rollers are still bright and shiny. I had it in storage for almost a year in a non-controlled environment, and all I did different was spray the rollers and gears with Breakfree before packing it up. It came out fine.

Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I use this stuff:

and it seems to work for me.

Hope this helps.

Lewis

*****
Reply to
limeylew

Store the rolls in an alkaline solution of baking soda: it works for steel wool and ball bearings.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

My wooddorking tools tables have held up well using Johnson Paste Wax but I'm not in the Pacific North West.

Try wax and test your rolls after it has time to dry.

Wes

Reply to
Wes