Anthony

Most DSL providers up here don't provide usenet access any more. Nor does the cable company. I'm on a free.terranews.com account. Limited bandwidth (no good for Binaries) and was only a $4 setup fee or something like that.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

news.individual.net is fast, filters out a lot of spam, and reliable.

15 bucks a year or so.
Reply to
Dave Hinz

Tried that already. The lines are too long, old and noisy for DSL, and they have installed FIOS so there's no chance of improving them. They bug me weekly to switch over but they won't budge on my counteroffer of a half speed, half price budget plan and leave the phone on copper.

Just for perspective, my monthly energy cost is under $10 and TV including HD is free, from an antenna. I'm part of the New Economic System that Gunner mentioned, where old guys like me can only find temp jobs. My healthcare is the Don'tGetSick plan.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I just use Yahoo for free mail, Google to read RCM and a GMAIL account to post. It certainly isn't as nice as the newsreader I used on MITRE's Mac but it's adequate and loads fast. The sporge is so obvious that it doesn't interfere.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

NetZero, if available in your area, offers basic dial-up internet service and e-mail for $9.95 per month. About the only downside is that they automatically disconnect you after 2 hours, but you can reconnect again right away. Since I don't do long downloads anyway, it has not been a serious problem for me.

Mike

Reply to
KyMike

Two things. What is your Zip Code and go to the web site for the New Hampshire Untilities Commission. They should have complete reliable information.

It will cost some but there is always satellite. Fast as all get ou and you might be able to set yourself up as an ISP, and have some positive cashflow, with neighbors. If you do do it with fibre.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Try copper.net they let you try it for $1 and then if you like it you can get it for $ 99 year. Or less then $10 a month if you want it monthly. They have local # all over the country. Jim

Reply to
Jim Sehr

Try copper.net they let you try it for $1 and then if you like it you can get it for $ 99 year. Or less then $10 a month if you want it monthly. They have local # all over the country. I used them for years but have changed to high speed. If they don't have rcm ask them and I think they will get it for you. Jim

Reply to
Jim Sehr

Try copper.net they let you try it for $1 and then if you like it you can get it for $ 99 year. Or less then $10 a month if you want it monthly. They have local # all over the country. I used them for years but have changed to high speed. If they don't have rcm ask them and I think they will get it for you. Jim

Reply to
Jim Sehr

Try copper.net they let you try it for $1 and then if you like it you can get it for $ 99 year. Or less then $10 a month if you want it monthly. They have local # all over the country. I used them for years but have changed to high speed. If they don't have rcm ask them and I think they will get it for you. Jim

Reply to
Jim Sehr

A decade or so ago, I used acornworld.net out of Dover. Over the years, that's become pngusa.net. I don't know if you're looking for an ISP that offers news, or just one that gets you good speed, but they might be worth a looksee.

Steve Ackman

I'm also using Skylink satellite, $30/mo hybrid (dialup upload, fast satellite download) but they have NO newsgroups.

nick hull

Try isp.com, $9.95/mo for good newsgroups and excellent e-mail filtering for dial-up only.

nick hull

ATT.net still has good dial-up coverage and a very good news server, which is why I keep my account even though I have DSL at home. Let's face it, both Usenet and dial-up are old technology and will eventually be history. It is just a matter of time.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Around $70 per year and that includes some web site storage space if you are into personal web pages. Customer support has been very responsive on the few occasions I've needed it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

You are probably right, but I hope not. I no longer regularly use dialup, but it has its uses. My DSL account gives me something like 10 hrs/month of dialup time, which they provide as a low-cost (to them) perk for use on the road.

As for usenet, I really dislike the ever more popular web forums. I find them clumsy and slow by comparison to even a marginal news server.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Perhaps more importantly, there is no overall organization of web forums (as we have here on Usenet) so there could be hundreds of very similar forums with few participants on any of them having any knowledge of the others. This leads to a crazy proliferation of forums, each with only a few regular participants. Further, there is no organized archiving of web forums.

Regardless of what you and I think, the average Internet user has no idea what the Usenet is, and thinks that Google Groups is just another provider of Internet forums. AOL has already turned off its news servers with no obvious ill effects. How long before other ISPs follow suit?

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon