Kitchen knife sharpening questions

LONG time. Just

ceramic will break or chip before it needs a sharpening. Try to find an old kyocera kitchen knife anywhere.

unless you're dredging a landfill, you won't.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Some..some stainless steels can indeed keep an edge. Not most of them..but if you hunt around..you can find several alloy blades. AUS

8 is one.

  1. Lie
Gunner

LONG time. Just

would be

Sabatier was the most common French carbon steel knife, if your neighbor bought it within the past century. I have a couple of them, and one of their steels. I can't say I ever noticed a different sound in grinding, but I've only done that a couple of times, when I had to take the belly out of a chopper.

I've had mine for almost 50 years. They're great and, like most carbon steel knives, they will sharpen faster than a 400-series stainless knife. But 400-series stainless will hold an edge for a longer time.

If you have any Buck pocket or hunting knives, they're made of a proprietary, slightly modified 441C stainless alloy. Compare that with your old carbon steel pocket knives in terms of how long the edge lasts. It's roughly the same comparison.

Don't leave onion or tomato on it, or it will rust before you finish cooking dinner.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

LONG time. Just

option would be

better than

I've not run a kitchen knife test, but I've noticed a few things between the good german stainless knives and carbon steel ones.

The carbon steel takes a really nice edge, and grinds really smooth. You can almost strop it to a mirror finish.

Stainless stuff is harder to polish and strop, it always has these ridges that are hard to remove. It just seems like it's a mix of hard and soft materials. This might make them seem like a saw once the blade is dull, so they still kind of cut through stuff. Crappy stainless knives are gummy and can't even be sharpened at all.

Even the german stainless knifes need a little touch up out of the box for some reason. I'm going to guess the japanese stuff like Global and Mac come fully and completely sharpened since they love their knives.

My daily carry knife is a Microtech made of "154-CM", and that's a weird material, some sort of knife foamer type alloy of who knows what. That stuff is hard and tough. I'd be interested to see a kitchen knife made of the stuff and how it holds up.

Didn't know about the onion. I don't hang out in a kitchen, but I also never let stuff dry up or set on a blade either, especially the pocket knife.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

  1. Lie
Gunner

It's good stuff whatever it is. It doesn't have the white/blue color of stainless, so I never though of it as such. It doesn't seem to rust either, even if you get rained on and forget to wipe it down later.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

LONG time. Just

option would be

better than

I haven't heard that one for a while. 154 CM was hot stuff about 30 years ago, popular with some custom knife makers. Maybe it still is.

It was originally described as "modified 440" by Crucible, who makes it, but the alloy is somewhat different:

As you say, it's hard and tough. It was the increased toughness that attracted knife-makers' attention.

Onion is REALLY bad. It leaves black rust, and some red rust, while you're standing there watching it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It's basically a martensitic stainless. like 420 or 440. But it has a little less chrome than 440, but it includes 4% molybdenum. That's a lot, and it's what gives 154 CM its special properties.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

LONG time. Just

option would be

better than

It looks like it's no longer the hottest thing out there, not that there's anything wrong with it:

Mine is apparently 9 years old from the date engraved on the blade.

It also takes a nice black oxide? ish coating that wears pretty damn good. Mine shows slight wear at the edges, but no parts are completely worn off. I'm not a fan of blinding everybody with a shiny blade.

Even a knife that already has the patina, like any well used hand tools or a manhole cover?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

a LONG time. Just

option would be

better than

A "patina" on a carbon-steel knife usually is a combination of two or three iron oxides, one of which--the blue one--holds on tight. The black rust also can hold tight and is much more common. Both of them are good at holding oil, and they're a lot more dense than red rust, which makes them less porous than the common red stuff..

So if your knife is really black or dark gray, and if you rub in a little mineral oil or vegetable oil from time to time, it can be very resistant to rusting. It's like browning or cold-rust bluing on a gun.

All but one of my carbon steel kitchen knives is kept very bright (Scotch Brite and, sometimes, Naval Jelly, which is phosphoric acid). My wife prefers them that way. They'll rust, though, if you look at them cross-eyed.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

jon_banquer fired this volley in news:584f359c- snipped-for-privacy@ou9g2000pbb.googlegroups.com:

Wait a minute. You just blasted someone for not knowing about all the ins and outs of plasma cutters -- which are, after all, still expensive tools not found in every shop; not even all welding shops.

But you asked for polite advice (and got it from all around) on how to sharpen a kitchen knife. That's a skill most male Americans learn at about age 11.

So, take your pick. If you want information to be provided politely, then give it politely. Calling people idiots for not knowing what you know doesn't improve their knowlege or your reputation.

(no slurs, just advice, OK?)

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

jon_banquer fired this volley in news:c96af102- snipped-for-privacy@kw7g2000pbb.googlegroups.com:

Of course they have come down in price, but that doesn't make everyone an expert on them. If you want to convey knowlege, do it; but don't demean the 'student'.

On the other thing: Yeah, I agree, but most "redneck" kids learn even earlier than that. I was carrying a (properly sharpened, by me) jack- knife by the time I was 10, and pretty much every boy in our neighborhood

- albiet rural - was. My dad gave me a nice two-grit oilstone at 12, because he didn't want me mucking his up.

Country boys learn a lot of 'adult' skills early.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Indeed they do.

Unfortunately Jonny boi learned few things...one of the most notible lackings is politness.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

My granddaughter sharpens the kitchen knifes when ever she is here. Does a fair job of it. She is nine years old now, but started sharpening knives a couple of years ago. But she is smarter than the average 3rd grader.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster