knots to archery to atlatls

Indeed. And I know where there is a very nice groove of bamboo growing about 300 yrds from my home.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

There is a fair amount of atlatl stuff currently on ebay.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Back in the Old Days, when the British had an Empire. the second and third sons were the ones who went aboard, to seek their fortune. The occasional idiot first son would sometimes be sent "away' to no longer embarrass the family. Those were the "Remittance men" - Service wrote of them. Those second sons, having no title back home, often did quite well in the new country. And tended to also not give a rip about the way things Used To Be Done.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Gunner Asch" wrote

I watch Survivor every year, don't ask me why. The first season, I tuned in to the episode where Rudy the Seal was voted out, so I figured it had nothing to do with survival, and everything to do with adolescent politics.

I see these idiots on there. They know they're going weeks ahead of time, but fail to learn how to make fire from sticks. They do no preparation in survival skills.

If I was on there, I'd have an atlatl and a crab net on the second day, and be eating. Those bozos are starving and standing among food.

But I'd get voted off for "personality".

Don't bother me. I know that I could live through a real survival situation, and I would be the ones who got to choose who got food and who didn't.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

"Gunner Asch" wrote

I am glad to see that, and glad to see there's an interest in it that's growing. The equipment is all over the chart. When we went to competitions, there was a lot of interest in the home made stuff, although some of it was a bit "klonky" like the big bamboo shafts. This stuff has to be a delicate balance of head, throwing stick, and spear weight/balance. If not, it just does not fly. Most of the best performing stuff is light. The heavier stuff would be for short distances only, like after you had an animal trapped or bogged down.

Most points that are found in the field that are bigger than one inch in any dimension were probably atlatl or spear points. You can't put much of a head on a wooden arrow and shoot it with a wooden bow, and have it carry much energy or distance.

Isn't it amazing. A couple of days ago, most people here had never heard the word atlatl. Buy one and try it. Practice for a few months. It's a lot of fun. Actually, if you want accuracy, the shorter ones do better than the longer ones, and are very easy to make.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

The ones I farted around with some years ago, were in the 6' range.

While I cant say I ever got good enough to be called "good", I did take some jackrabbits and groundsquirrels with it. I was hoping to go after a russian boar..lots of them not too far from here..but never got around to taking the time ..life got in the way.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You probably wouldn't get onto the show. Competence is out of fashion. I like Jewel's remark that we watch TV to see people more messed up than we are.

It's too bad "Rough Science" didn't draw a bigger audience.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Dunno about stone age, but medieval bodkin and broad heads were typically 2 or more inches long, and shot from a wooden longbow they carried just fine and had enough energy to punch through armor.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Gunner Asch on Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:35:52 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Yeah, but the dominate defective genes, those got wiped out pretty quick. Unfortunately, we "bred" for the recessive traits. But hey,if it is genetic, we can devise a genetic test, and then cull the gene pool. I'm sure that those who consider themselves to be a product of their genetic makeup will agree.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Whenever I see shows like that, I wonder, "Why don't they just ask all those people with cameras and recorders and lights and stuff if they'll share their food?"

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich the Cynic