Lanolin?

Hi all, Anybody here have any idea where I can buy raw lanolin? I have googled around and found that I can buy it in 2 fl.oz. tubes from pharmacy type places for 5 or 6 bucks or more, but I am looking to get a few pounds, and that is way too expensive. If I want a railroad tanker car full, I found a few sources for that as well, but that is a bit much in the other direction.

I checked a few chemical supply places in the local phone book (Massachusetts) but the only 2 that would even speak to me, told me they only sold the lab/pharma grade stuff at something like $40/Lb. I am not going to eat this or spread it on my (or anyone elses) body, so would prefer something more "industrial grade" like this that I found on ebay:

This guy is in Australia, so I am waiting to hear what shipping would cost and suspect it may be pricey. Any other leads or sources?

Thanks in advance, Alan

Reply to
clavius.a

wrote: (clip) This guy is in Australia, so I am waiting to hear what shipping would cost and suspect it may be pricey. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Then again, maybe not. Australia has a lot of sheep. That's probably where most of the lanolin comes from. Someone is going to pay the shipping--either the Australian "refiner" or some importer. Either way, you end up paying.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

check out

I've never used them, but apparantly they are about a mile and a half from me.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
pkdickman
30 oz for $24 See
R. O'Brian

On 21 Jan 2005 08:31:04 -0800, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake:

I googled for "lanolin gallon" and found more than you did.

How does $8.75/lb or $39.40 for 5 lbs. sound?

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

Wow, you guys are awesome! Excellent suggestions, all. I Googled all sorts of stuff, and never thought to try "Lanolin gallon". I DOES get some good hits. Not as smart as I think I am I guess. :) For what it is worth, I did get a reply from the ebay seller in Australia, he said that airmail to the USA is $9.85. Not bad, really. However the link provided by Mr. Dickman to the soapmakers supply place lists it for ~26.00 for 10Lbs, with about 8 bucks shipping. Sounds like the way to go. That is a bit more than i NEED, but not so much that any will go to waste. And the price is right. Thanks very much for taking the time. Much appreciated!!

-AL

Reply to
clavius.a

I buy mine from WalMart, IIRC $6 for a 1# container.

Reply to
Nick Hull

rcook5

This may sound weird, but check hand weaving shops. They buy wool, often unspun, which puts them in touch with wool producers, who also produce lanolin.

--RC

rcook5

On 21 Jan 2005 13:47:53 -0800, the inscrutable " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" spake:

That site beat the heck out of my reference. What does he win?

Jewelcome.

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

That's because I searched for lanolin lb

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
pkdickman

Whatcha gonna do with it? Curious minds are, well, curious .. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

As to what I am going to do with it, I want a few pounds to make up a big batch of "Ed's Red" bore cleaning solvent for both gun cleaning and general small icky-thing degreasing, for myself and some friends. I have used this w/o the lanolin and find it works great. I understand that the lanolin makes it a bit easier on the hands and gives it much better rust preventitive properties. After reading the Australian guys ebay ad, it seems that the raw stuff has lots of other properties that RCM types would find useful.

It never occured to me to look at wal-mart. Again, DUH. As for what Paul wins, how about "THE ADORATION OF THE PEOPLE!" ?

-AL

Reply to
clavius.a

Is it time to throw in the kicker??

Are you wanting hydrous or anhydrous lanolin. There is a big difference, especially when it comes to cleaning guns, price also is very different...

Reply to
Clif Holland

It's been a couple of years since I bought some, but I got mine at the Wal Mart pharmacy. It was a special order as I recall, and about $16 for a pound.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:35:49 -0600, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net spake:

Well done, Paul. So, whatcha win?

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

Check any of the soaper groups, I just ask my wife and she had 2 jars of it. gary

Reply to
Gary Owens