Large quantity rod storage?

It must be that infamous 'Texas toast'. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Shipping container, old step van, basically a big box you can keep dry. As long as the interior space is filled you won't have as much trouble with interior condensation. So a full container will stay drier than a mostly empty one.

As to the wire spools, just bag them individually in tough trash bags, on a dry day. Throw in some handfuls of uncooked rice or beans to absorb any moisture that does get in, and store indefinitely. Best if the rats or mice can't get to the beans or rice. They will chew lovely holes in the bags.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I tend to agree with some of the others that an old refrigerator would work fine. When I was in high school our instructor used an old refrigerator to store our misc. welding rods.

But, with as much as you need to dry, you'll probably need several old refrigerators.

Reply to
roycompton

A walk in cooler?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Plastic buckets with lids could be stacked 2 or 3 high. How heavy would a bucket of electrodes be?

Reply to
Bob F

Over 100 lbs. Some buckets can tack that, but others will break down over time under that load, especially if you stack them.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Indeed. So do milk cartons.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Are there any good sources of used 55 gal. drums around? Or how about the smaller ~15 gal. oil drums? I'd think you could pick up a bunch for cheap from your customers. As long as they still have the lid I'd think they would work very well -- heat up the rod to drive off moisture, dump it in, seal it, and label it.

Here's a few ideas for doing it cheap: tie it up in ~15 pound bundles and wrap it with aluminum foil, and then dip it in wax or spray it with something similar.

Vacuum seal in plastic bags and store in old foot locker. You might even get a sheet of mylar and make your own bags for cheap. I think all you'd need is a iron, or a bit of nichrome wire. Harbor Freight sells a bag sealer, too.

Reply to
jpolaski