LAthe Advice?

under tail stock.) it

wheeler under it.

Second son helped me move my SB9 36" bed into the lowest of a 4 level side split. We had to take it off the factory stand, then ran the carriage and tail stock tight to the head stock; in this setup, I hung the head end by a strap around my neck and carefully backed down the two short stairways, while he handled the tail end. That was 21 years ago, now if it comes out - someone else can do it. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

In my case, that'd be a lot smaller machine than a couple years ago!

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley

I believe you have the Myford confused with the Boxford. The Boxford is indeed an SB clone. But Myfords, such as the Super-7 are a different animal.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

It may not be part of your requirements, but I'm sure it part of other's requirments and I'm sure it was an important factor in Myford's success.

When I first started in this hobby, I was very much concerned about how to move a lathe into my basement. I settled for a craftsman/atlas because of its low weight (and low cost). Now I realize there are machines that can easily be disassembled for moving. My point is I think lots of people have this mindset. I know I certainly started out with it and did not change it until I helped my friend move a clausing 12x36 into his basement. At that point I realized there are more options!

Also, many people are limited by how much room they have. I know one guy who's entire workshop is a small room about 5x8. He simply does not have room for a big machine. He bought an import 5x10 because thats all he could fit.

SO my point is that Myford's claim to fame is that it fit the workshop. Yes, If you got the room, there are better and cheaper machines.

chuck

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

No, I don't. I know both machines; I had a Super 7 in my shop at work for a while. We replaced it with a Taiwanese G/H machine and have never regretted it. I was comparing the lack of changes in design and the lack of features, mass et al. The SB is a heavier machine than the Myford but both are wildly overpriced and thoroughly obsolete compared with machines like the Emco and Colchesters.

The only advantage of a Myford is that it's so small & light that it can easily be moved without mechanical assistance. BFD. 2 of us moved my Emco Maximat 11 sans cranes etc. The Maximat is a geared head machine, has a bigger spindle hole, DIN mounted chucks, separate feed and leadscrews etc etc.

Look, if you're a hobbyist and all you have a need for, space for etc is a Myford, fine. They are nice machines. For hobbyists. With limited space & weight availability. That doesn't mean that they're the best machine compared to others available in the same bed length & centre height.

If you like old iron, fine. I have a pre-WW1 Smith-Drum sliding bed lathe that's 8" CH, 40" BC, flat belt drive, weighs a ton (or more). Nice machine. Well made machine. Accurate machine. Pleasure to use. A modern Taiwanese lathe is at least as accurate and can remove metal at a far greater rate. I paid $100 for the Smith-Drum, which was a fair price. There's no way I'd have paid 2X to 3X the price of a *new* Taiwanese 8X40 lathe for it, tho.

Look at the specs on the Myford lathe at UKP 1650 and the Colchester Chipmaster at UKP 1450. You can't tell me that the Myford is a better buy if your objective is to *use* a lathe rather than *collect* a lathe. It's no more accurate and inferior on all its other specs.

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley

You are correct.

Equality [not the level] of income is commonly quantified [measured by a number] using the Lorenz curve/distribution. In economics this measurement is called the GINI index.

The values range from 1.00, which indicates perfect inequality of income, i.e. one person gets it all and everyone else has none, to 0.00, which indicates everyone gets the same.

The lowest U.S. GINI index [most equal income] was 0.351 in 1957. In 1994, it was 0.426 with an increasingly steep trend line. This is significant because the GINI index is highly correlated with quality of life factors such as murder, robbery, burglary, death and suicide rates. This holds true not only between/among cash economy countries but also between American states and major metro statistical areas.

The United States currently has the highest GINI index of any of the OECD countries (and is rapidly increasing their lead). As the GINI index increases to the values seen in countries such as Columbia and Brasil, we should expect to see street crimes and home invasions increase to comparable levels. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics and Bureau of Economic Analysis tracks the GINI index as well as the World Bank. Less developed economies give mis-leading results because these tend to be non-cash economies with considerable subsistence and/or underground economic activity, i.e. the farmer consumes most of what he grows, so this does not show up as income.

If anyone is interested I will be pleased to email you US and world GINI data with trend lines and other statistical data in xls format.

GmcD[/quote:d364a71019]

Hello... i'm a student in Argentina and I really need GINI data, all that you can give me. I need it for my thesis. Thanks

Juan Manuel Otero

Reply to
juanote

I have to add my thanks also to all who contributed to this thread. I have just recently resumed welding and playing with metal project this spring after being distracted with other activities for a couple of years. I had almost convinced myself I needed a larger more versatile welder, even though my trusty little Handler 120 and my O/A rig have handled every project I've dreamed up so far.

Now I'm getting the bug to get a small lathe suitable for learning on and performing turning tasks that I'm more and more often wishing I was capable of. This thread has been a wealth of information.

Reply to
Mark J

Team Emco, report!

I love my Emco Maximat 7... a hell of a machine, light enough that my dad and I carried down two flights of stairs, up one, and into my workshop -- but heavy enough to take 0.1"+ cuts with power feed and mill like hell.

Only cost me $1350, too.

Reply to
trp8xtl02