Dogs and centering things in tailstock

I apologize for making this ignorant post.

I need some brushing up on keeping things properly centered in a lathe.

There are, really, two methods for keeping long rods centered. One is making sure that both ends are supported, and another is making sure that the middle is supported. The "dogs" are for supporting the middle.

I would like a short primer on what are the tools called that support the end near tailstock, and also, how to use dogs.

I have a dog, which I have ont tried, and some piece that goes into tailstock and is conical on the other end. I am a little confused that it is not free spinning. How can it, then, be used to support the other side? Wouldn't it be exposed to constant wear?

Ignoramus20962

support

I guess you're talking about live/dead centers for the tailstock, and steady/follower rests. There is an excellent chapter on lathe fundamentals authored by the US Army at the Metal Web News. I'd post a link but the site is not working for me right now...

Reply to
Rick

The conical thing in the back is a turning center. If it's one solid piece it's called a "dead center" and you have to lubricate it as well as pay attention to how tight you crank down the tailstock. You can get live rests, which have bearings.

The "dog" that you're referring to is a steady follower. I've never had occasion to use one, so I won't comment further.

Usually if you're standing next to a lathe a "dog" is either (a) a canine that you keep around the shop for company (short-haired breeds are best as you can comb the chips out easier), (b) a really troublesome, poorly made or maintained piece of machinery, or (c) a drive dog, which clamps onto a workpiece that is held in a center in the headstock and driven from the grooves in the faceplate. Neither (a) or (b) would have any application in your case (unless you have a dog that's a real dog, or you have trained your dog to fetch your dog).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

support

Here's the link I mentioned in a previous post.....

Rick

thanks, that link is a keeper. I will print it out.

Ignoramus20962