Lathe electrically "hot" due to VFD? WTF?

I wish it were... Fortunately most people take the ACPO for what they appear to be - a bunch of paranoid nutters with a total contempt for those they're paid to serve and their rights and liberties :)

It stems from the UK's gun ban - although the legitimate shooters had to give up their arms (with no compensation and, being registered, no option), criminals didn't, and there appear to be a few thousand (or perhaps more, nobody has counted) converted blank-firers, gas-powered pistols etc. in their hands - the "logic" behind it is that if they can't stop the materials coming into the UK there shouldn't be facilities to make the mods...? Since the gun ban a cheap and nasty pistol has become a status symbol in some of our less salubrious areas and gun crime (or at least reporting thereof) has increased drastically.

Personally I like the Israeli model, where 2 guys can try to hold up a restaurant and be subjected to what the local police called a "good shoot, no over-penetration, no strays", as concealed carry is *encouraged*, possibly because of their issues with "militant minorities" - didn't see the ACPO advocating arming the public when we had the Irish troubles and terrorism on our turf though? The usual "don't try to deal with it yourself, Nanny Knows Best And Will Take Care Of You" we've had from all our governments since 1945...

Damned if I know what we'll do when the Zombies erupt from their graves :(

Dave H.

Reply to
Dave H.

Good catch. Of course I meant licensed electrician

Reply to
Jim Stewart

12" 1/4" iron pipe A/R .22LR rimfire cartridge 1 ea. tack hammer. >:->

Good Luck! Rich

  • A/R = As Required
Reply to
Rich Grise

Got chainsaws? ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure you had a chance to correct it, before the hyenas piled on. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They will probably ban water next.

John

Reply to
John

Some parts of Europe has practiced for centuries, by refusing to use water. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some parts of Europe has practiced for centuries, by refusing to use water. :)

Reply to
Califbill

Can the Brits on the group confirm that the UK is really outlawing fire extinguishers?

Joe Gwinn

A little google

Seems to be true idiocy.

Reply to
Califbill

Bill & All, Never connect safety ground and neutral anywhere but the building entry point. It is unsafe, against code everywhere and it creates ground loops. Safety ground must be non-current carrying. If you find this practice corrects a fault, you have another problem find that and stick to code. Steve

problem with a disk drive failing to spin up

neutral. Was 12 V between.

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes, but despite the title the article does not say that extinguishers are banned, only that the landlord is no longer required to provide them, which is not the same thing as banning. This appears to be an argument about money, not safety.

As I said, I'd like to hear from someone from the area to fill us in on the politics.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Indeed. I believe I mentioned working on a misbehaving Large machine..and after laying on the concrete floor in a pool of sweat..reached up and grabbed the side of the machine to pull myself up.

And having the shop owner kick my arm loose as I was doing the Spastic Trout On The Dock dance......

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No. Not at all. The ACPO is just another of the Crank Antigun groups.

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Here in the U.S. we generally refer to similar devices as GFCI ground fault circuit interrupter. They are available in several versions for installing into walls to protect branches of receptacles, and required most places for receptacles near sinks (bath, kitchen, laundry, circuits near swimming pools) or receptacles near exit doors where cords might be used for outdoor equipment, also permanent outdoor locations (also available built into extension cords and power cords of equipment primarily used outdoors - electric pressure washers, for example).

There are also GFCI versions for installing directly into service panels (mains power feed boxes).

One thing that's worse than excessive use of extension cords, is cheap morons that never throw them away when the cords become damaged or develop worn out receptacles. In addition to that issue, too many folks don't have any understanding of wattages or current.

I can tell you're a real maverick, Dave.. you used yards, instead of meters, heh.

Yep, your regulators not accepting your certifications and experience for not being adequate for fairly simple electrical work, reminds me of the sig quote that's used by Wes (I think), about a guy's right to have a weapon to protect important pople in his job.. but not able to keep a weapon in his home to protect himself and his family.

Double standards have long been becoming the norm, twisted as that is.

Yep, there are essentially no safety devices that are 100% effective.. circuit breakers don't detect fires from hot conductors, etc.

Even isolation transformers can't protect someone from electrocution from fatal voltage potentials within the piece of isolated equipment.

Folks were generally safer when they were very superstitious and afraid of electrical power. Of course, they had to suffer lots of injuries from wandering around in the house in the dark, and possibly oil lamp fires. But they wouldn't risk getting killed instantly by the mysterious "fire on a wire".

There were lots of rural folks in this country using gasoline-powered washing machines (outdoors, I suppose) just a couple of generations ago.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

That's NOT the approved Method of Faulty Ground Tracing as mentioned in the Sparky manual, sir. But it found your problem for you, dinnit? (ouch!)

-- Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises. -- Demosthenes

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I guess you learned by experience that before working on any machine it is prudent to check the grounding of the machine, but preferably not by your method. I find a number of machines especially in small shops that are not properly grounded. Some people should not do their own wiring, especially three phase systems. Grounding is the most important part of wiring, that is why the NEC devotes a whole chapter to it.

John

Reply to
John

And the expression 'tit in the wringer' came from those old wringer type washing machines, Ouch :)

John

Reply to
John

You can't trust Electrical Contractors, either. I recently found a

208 V pipe bender that was reporting low voltage on the VFD drive. Brand new install after a freind's company moved. The contractor had wired the thing for 120 volts at one end, and 208 at the outlet. The business assured me that it had to be wired right, but it wasn't. The outlet had the right NEC color codes, but the ass had connected the red conductor to neutral in the three phase breaker box. He had used a single pole breaker, as well.

Then they wanted to wait a week before fixing their mess while the company was waiting for parts to make shipments. After a heated convesation, someone showed up an hour later but without the proper breaker. That lead to another heated call, and the owner bring over the proper breaker.

Another problem is a machine that was properly grounded, but the wire has failed from vibration or some idiot hitting the conduit with a forklift. This doesn't just happen to machine tools. I know of one commercial fire alarm in a school that used the old 10A loop current that had a wire short to a piece of conduit and people were getting shocked with about 60 volts, DC. A connection in the conduit was corroded, so it was no longer grounded, so it was a double fault condition that could have killed someone. Cheap assed people think I'm crazy to run a ground conductor inside of EMT.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I remember my aunt having a gasoline powered washer with a length of flexible exhaust hose out trough a hole in the kitchen wall. My grand father used to threaten to get an exhaust hose for my Grandmother every time she would have an "intestinal event". Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller