Lathe tool post question

Jerry thanks for your note. While in the end I will probably buy a modern type tool post you pointed out a few things that I had not thought of, namely that this old Reed & Prentice
might not be tight enough by design to make heavier cut. I also should keep in mind the importance of a correctly shaped and sharp bit. Here it would be interesting to see what you consider a 'good' tool grinder?
And after all I might look at that old lamppost tool holder and try to find the verastility you mention.
regards Uwe

If you have access to a vertical slide for the lathe or a milling machine or shaper you may like to build your own. I've recently built a Stevenson toolpost:- http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/toolpost/toolpost.html
and find it to be very good. One advantage of it is that you can scale it to fit your lathe. I made mine to fit my 7" swing Myford But I've visited John Stevenson and seen him using one on a 14" swing TOS lathe.
Mark Rand RTFM
replying to Jaggy Taggy, Ricmcc wrote: Im on my second lathe, both had/have lantern tool posts, I like them and not changing
On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 2:18:08 PM UTC-4, Ricmcc wrote:

This thread has been dead for 16 years.