Lawn mower starting problem

Interesting. My experience comes from tinkering with lawnmower engines over

25 yrs ago. I don't remember ever seeing anything other than a cast iron flywheel on any of them. Perhaps that is why I could start them OK back then. Beats me.
Reply to
Gary H

According to Gunner :

[ ... ]

Now *this* is a primary example why you should use the normal .sig delimiter. Without it, it reads as part of your response, and looks very much as though you are insulting the original poster.

The attribution helps -- a bit, but I keep seeing these and thinking that they are aimed at individual posters.

And no -- it won't make a bit of difference as to whether your .sig is quoted in my followups. I manually trim *all* of the .sigs and much extra quoted text when replying. The only reason your .sig appears hear is because that is what I am explicitly responding to.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Damn, no snarky remarks by Tom Bergeron, either.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I've got to say my experience with vertical shaft lawn mower engines was about that long ago and mainly with B&S engines and the odd POS Sears Tecumseh and I can't remember seeing a CI flywheel on any of them, all alloy with the magnets cast in. I had tried to start a couple without the blade and generally no joy.

Reply to
David Billington

This is CORRECT. Lawn mower engines have light aluminum flywheels and will NOT start without the blade attached. Garden tiller and belt driven mower engines (and go-cart engines) have heavier cast iron flywheels which will allow the engine to start and run with no load.

It is a design quirk, which like it or not, is FACT.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

You have grass at you place? I'm surprised. It's so dry and dusty there...

Reply to
jpolaski

Actually, it's flushing the grit through the filter into the air intake where it gets eaten by the engine...and fuel isn't vaporized in those little carbs very well, but if you have an air filter full of vapor and saturated with fuel, one little backfire and the excitement begins.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

I just started my cratfsman mower with tecumseh engine without the blade. Runs fine that way. Mower was free to me. owner said it wouldn't run. SEars said 150 bux to fix it. It came with no blade or hub. Got those, now can't tighten bolt enough to not come loose within 5 seconds. Is Locktite the answer?

Reply to
daniel peterman

That and a fresh lockwasher would be the next thing I'd try.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You will probably live to regret using locktite. The blade on my mower is keyed to the hub with #10 x 1/4 soft iron rivets as shear pins, the hub in turn is keyed to the shaft with a woodruff key, I ensure that the threads are clean, apply anti seize, tighten the bolt finger tight, then hold the blade and snug up the bolt. MAKE SURE THE IGNITION IS DISSABLED WHEN DOING THIS or you will be like the beer drinker who decided it would be easy to use his rotary mower to rim the hedge. They call him "Stumpy" now cause he has eight of them! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

thanks guys. I'll give the lockwasher a chance then locktite as last resort.

Reply to
daniel peterman