Lead Wheel Weights

The other day an article in the newspaper was saying some local government (bragging) is changing over to the no lead wheel weights. I guess nation wide they are trying to change the wheel weights from lead to zinc because of environmental issues. This was based on the fact that in the article, 13 percent of vehicles loose wheel weights and they are ground up on the road. Now my question is how the heck did they come up with the 13 percent number? I have balanced many tires and never really noticed missing or lost weights. Rebalances are because less tire rubber and you install smaller weights. So anybody lost their wheel weights? I think it is another scam by some company trying to make a buck.

Reply to
warren

I walk a lot and often notice wheel weights by the side of the road. Compared to the number that remain attached, though, I would have serious doubt about 13% coming loose. Maybe just a fnord .. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

By using the same "scientific" methods that produced the myth of Global Warming/Freezing (i.e., they made it up).

Reply to
DeepDiver

Sounds like you need to visit

to learn about a _real_ threat. Nasty stuff, that DHMO...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I have heard that crap is in all the drinking water in the USA! Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Yes, Steve, and it's pollulted all the world's oceane!!! aaaaarrrrrgggg1

Bill

Reply to
BillP

How dare those evil American industrialists and corporations dump raw DHMO into rivers, lakes, streams, bays, and coastal waters? Sign a petition to demand that all companies and households store DHMO waste on site until EPA-approved disposal methods are enacted!

Reply to
DeepDiver

Reply to
larry g

Yep! What Grant said. I, too, have noticed wheel weights, and have picked them up when convenient. If 13% of the autos were losing them, I'd have tons of lead, and I don't. They make great bullets for those of us that hand load for revolvers.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Reading the FAQ, it almost reads like a parody. It's responsible for a long list of ills from cancer to SOIL EROSION?? Death due to accidental injhalation AND decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes???

The common uses list isn't much better:

Used to make styrofoam and used by porographers and pedaphiles?? (One does wonder...)

Used by both the KKK and the NAACP in their rallies and marches! (How in the heck...?)

Maybe those two groups have common ground after all :)

Reply to
Rex B

It *is* a parody. It's designed to illustrate the ease by which masses of people can be whipped into a fearful frenzy over the "dangers" of things they don't understand (e.g., global warming, CO2 emissions, mercury, lead, asbestos, second-hand smoke, firearms, etc.).

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) = H2O = water.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

LOL Took me in. And now that I've thought about it, I've seen that one before.

Reply to
Rex B

Ayup. I have to work hard at scrounging Wheel Weights for bullet casting. If so many were lost, it would be far easier to get some.

Gunner

Gunner

Years ago, I bought two 5-gallon pails full of wheelweights at an auction. Hey, 2 bucks is 2 bucks, y'know? So, I melted them down (outside) into ingots. I've got 5 ammo cans full of wheelweight ingots, another two full of .22 bullet lead melted into ingots, and a bunch of picked up centerfire pistol bullets in more cans. Some day, I'll use some of 'em. Point is, I see you're in TDS world - anywhere near Milwaukee or Madison, and if so, do you want a can of lead WW ingots?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

All these things are true about it. Really.

They sure do. Maybe it's the water.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

My addy can be misleading. I was a member of the community council when it was first established by TDS (at least locally), so I became somewhat familiar with them. They are a small phone company in the scheme of things, but slowly growing by buying even smaller phone companies. That's what happened in our case. We're in Lewis County, Washington State. The McDaniels family started the phone company here many, many years ago, and ran it successfully until the late 90's. They still owned the business when we moved here from Utah. About a year later, TDS bought them and changed the name. At that time, TDS was comprised of something like 109 small companies spread around the nation, including another in Paonia, CO, a small town I had visited, so I remember it well.

Bottom line: I'm a long ways away, but I sure as hell appreciate your kind offer, which I'd snap up in a heart-beat were we closer together.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Ah well. Anyone here in the Milwaukee/Madison area who wants an ammo can full of ingots made from wheelweight lead, just say the word.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Don't the folks at tire shops & garages have plenty?

Reply to
fredfighter

I could (from Beloit), but 50 miles seems a long drive just for lead. :o(

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

Standing offer...my address is valid, and it's not going anywhere any time soon. Straight shot up 26 gets you almost here, I'm 6 miles out from Jefferson.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz