Powder Actuated Fastening

For all of your powder actuated fastening needs, pay a visit to

Pins and Loads.com specializes in tools, pins and loads from ITW Ramset. We also have a tool cleaning and repair service, as well as powder actuated tool user certification.

Reply to
Lenny Schlegel

No thanks; I buy from Grainger. They're closer, and they don't spam.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave,

Grainger is a great company, who we regularly do business with. I'm sorry you feel that one post in topical newsgroups is spamming, and hope that if there's ever a problem with Grainger, you'd give us a try. I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied.

-Len Schlegel Pinsandloads.com

Reply to
Lenny Schlegel

No, I don't buy from spammers, ever. This isn't a .forsale group. You're the equivalent of an insurance salesman crashing a party and bugging the partygoers.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, I was actually in the market to find a new piston for an old low-velocity gun, since the chips in the tip were resulting in a lot of "come-backers" that seriously hurt, even with the rubber deflector cone in place and wearing two jackets and every stitch of personal protection gear I own...

But now that you have SPAMMED and shown us your true scruples, you are permanently out of the running. Even if I run across your site by other means.

God, you'd think these morons would learn... We can search for them, or they can use targeted advertising. Waltzing in and crapping on our living room carpet isn't a very effective marketing tool.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Seems fair enough to me.

Gunner

Gunner

Not a chance in hell that I'd give money to a spammer.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Technically, you didn't SPAM. Spamming is posting an ad many times or to many places. It's just that this is a clean newsgroup--no ads at all. We've all developed an expectation for it to remain that way. What you did was kind of like if you went to a movie and someone had spliced a commercial into the middle of it. Hence the negative responses. There are a few guys who participate in here and own/work for businesses. They might mention them on occasion when it's appropriate or leave a link in their .sig--something which seems to bother nobody.

Reply to
B.B.

Well, that's one definition. And he did hit at least here and the wooddorking group. google would, of course, give the whole list.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

B.B. Thanks for the polite, and civil reply. I did apologize, as I was not aware of this group's "rules" as it were. Now that I know, I will respect those rules and not make a post like that again. I certainly do not want my company to be confused with those companys who unscrupulously spam and bombard people with ads, viruses, spyware, etc.

-Len Schlegel

Pins and Loads

Do you treat advertisers on TV the same way?

Reply to
Tom

How is that relevant or close to the same thing? They provide value by paying for the show I'm watching. Last I checked, spammers don't pay for my bandwidth, they steal it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"They pay for the show?" LOL, I think you'll find the consumer does. As for stealing your bandwidth, cost out the time, ads cost you..

Reply to
Tom

The standard I saw a long time ago was square root of number of groups cross-posted to plus the square root of the number of duplicate posts >= 20. So it worked out to needing 400 cross-posted groups, or

400 duplicate posts, or some combination in-between. Real spammers hit that mark easily. Guys like Len don't come even close. Of course, that isn't carved in stone or anything, so what is or isn't SPAM can vary from place to place or person to person. I just stick with that standard because it's pretty much the threshold used by the auto-cancelers and most ISPs. That way by the time I'm bitching about someone spamming it's to the level that they have an excuse for (or even interest in) dealing with the offender.
Reply to
B.B.

Is a hobbyist who offers up a machine for sale, a spammer?

Gunner

Gunner

OMG, guys give him a break.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Last I checked, I don't have to pay for broadcast TV, the sponsors do. Maybe it's different in .nz?

words together coherent not sentence make thought of

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yes, there are many ways to define it. For any definition you can give, I could give another which includes "one is enough", which is the one I choose to use.

Well, there's different levels of spam, sure. This guy, a simple "don't do that" from several people, seems to have fixed. The idiots who post what more permissive definitions consider to be spam, get reported. I didn't send this to his ISP or their upstream, because to his credit, he eventually "got it". If he'd followed up with "Screw you, I can do what I want, here's more spam", then I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one forwarding his posts to his ISP and to eBay.

Is the horse dead yet?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I don't think so. If someone participates in the group, that's a whole lot different than someone using it _exclusively_ to exploit it as a free advertising forum. Like Steve Knight and Robin Lee over in the wooddorking group - great advice, active participants, and oh by the way, they sell stuff. But they don't just come in, drop an ad, and use it only for that; they contribute real value to the group.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I Just Might - he actually read the newsgroup, figured it out, apologized, and seems to get it. True spammers just spew and run.

The true path to enlightenment (and sales here) is to subscribe and participate in the everyday newsgroup discussions. Network. Have fun.

If someone asks "How the heck do I do this?" you can come up with the answer. And if you happen to sell the answer, that's okay, as long as you aren't beating us over the head daily with the fact.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman