Hones for model engine cylinders

Hi,

I'm trying to find a source of hones suitable for model engine cylinders in sizes ranging from 1/2" to around 2". I've heard of something calle "Sunnen hones" but can't find a source for these in the UK. Any other recommendations on hones would be gratefully received as well, particularly a mail order or website address.

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

I suppose it all depends what you mean by hones.

Brake cylinder hones, the simple spring-loaded things, cheap enough from motor factors, might be all that you need. There are serious hones as well, of course (delapena is a name that springs to mind)

Depending on what you're trying to do, David Brown expanding floating reamers can give a very good finish with pretty good control of the diameter. Much better than I can get with a boring tool in the lathe, anyway

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

They make small hones for doing brake cylinders on cars. A good place to look is the car accessory shops.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

What kind off model engine cylinders?

If it'sfor model IC engines, the recommendation is to make up your own split hone/lap, as they guarantee a round consistent finish. A normal hone exagerates any out off roundness and can taper the cylinder.

If you search through the old messages on the Yahoo Min_Int_Comb_Eng group, hones and laps have been discussed several times.

problem is the search function doesn't search all the messages. It only searches a few hundred at a time, and you've got to scroll down the page and click the 'search more' button to get the next set off results.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Hi Boo,

The main web site is

In the uk it's
They make some good gear, but I believe that it can be expensive.

Roger

Boo wrote:

Reply to
rlincolnh

Hi Boo Currently building a RLE engine from Alyn Foundry, used a Draper cylinder hone to do my bore and had no problems.

Paul

Reply to
Paul swindell

In message , Boo writes

Hi

Sunnen are popular in the Automotive industry, and is an American company I think.

I have a Delapena which is a UK made honing machine. It can be fitted with mandrels and stones to hone from about an 1/8" to a couple of inches at least. BUT tooling one up from scratch is a remortgage job!

I am involved in small engines (IC) as well as my normal business, and frankly I'd recommend soft Laps over a hone.

Laps work extremely well and are easy to make, I make all mine adjustable, and usually from Al-Alloy. They do however work best with a well prepared bore. I usually internally grind bores prior to lapping.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Boo,

As a Machine Tool Service Engineer I used to work in the late 80's for a Machine tool agency who had Sunnen Honers on thier books, it was my job, as well as others to install, service and repair the equipment. From memory and I've looked at the Website the equipment doesn't lend itself to what you and I would use it for and its expensive. As others have said better you make or buy something nearer your needs.

Mart> Hi,

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I use a brake cylinder hone for bores one inch and larger. For smaller cylinders, I split one end of a piece of 1/4 round stock, cross drill in the middle of the part with a slit, for a screw. Use this as a holder for emery cloth. Lube with Paraffin. I have had good results with the cylinder completely submerged in a container of Paraffin.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Thanks to all who replied, I've ordered a Sealey 3-stone brake cylinder hone from tooled-up - thanks to Peter for mentioning them. I will try this first and then look into the laps etc if it turns out not to do what I want. The application is IC engine cylinders for those who asked.

Cheers,

Reply to
Boo

Does this help?

Reply to
Rich

Hi Rich, not really 'cos my news provider strips all binary attachments ;-) Is it available on a website anywhere ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

If you drop me an email I will send it to you if you like

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Sparey's book "The Amateurs Lathe" describes making internal and external laps, for the purpose of cleaning up cylinders and pistons

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Peter

Did you get my email ok?

On another tack, I just bought a diamond cup wheel from RGD.....no speed marked on it......thought it was a requirement these days?

Rich

Reply to
Rich