An Open Letter to Jerry Calabrese, CEO Lionel, LLC

Jerry,

I did not see an answer to my question that I posted on this evening's Jerry Calabrese/Lionel Chat session, so I'll post it publicly hoping to see an answer:

Jerry,

I purchased a Lionel train set for my boys for Christmas for $350 (part #: 6-31962). The RailSounds and Caboose were dead on arrival and weren't discovered until Christmas morning. As of this day (Feb. 16,

2005) that is almost 2 months since Christmas, we still don't have the train set because it has been bouncing between a Lionel Service Station in NJ and the Lionel Service Center in Chesterfield. This was my first purchase of a serious train set. My first experience with Lionel tells me that you have major problems in quality control off of the assembly line, customer service issues, dealer Service Station training issues, dealer Service Station part stocking issues, and Lionel Repair Center service times. (1) What is being done to address the issues of quality control, customer service, Dealer Service Station training, Dealer Service Station parts stocking, and Lionel Repair Center turn around times? (2) Will my boys see their train back by St. Patrick's Day? If you need some recommendations of what to do, please see the letter that I sent you dated January 8, 2005. Please see the detailed summary of my experience with Lionel below.

Peter Rohrman

Nov. 30, 2004 - I decide to purchase a serious train set for my boys. I have never purchased a serious train set in my life. I decided on a Lionel because I knew the name. It was a Nickel Plate Road Super Freight train set (part #: 6-31962) that I purchased via phone order from Charles Ro of Malden, Ma. I'm excited!!!!

Dec. first week, 2004 - Received the set, checked for shipping damage, and placed in storage for Christmas. I'm very excited!!!

Dec. 25, 2004 - We Set up the train set for first time. The sound didn't work, nor did the caboose emit smoke. Everything was setup as specified in both the video and manual. I'm not happy.

Dec 26, 2004 - Sent email to snipped-for-privacy@lionel.com asking for recommended course of action to correct the situation. I'm trying to stay positive.

Dec 28, 2004 - snipped-for-privacy@lionel.com responded to my email inquirery dated Dec 26, 2004 telling me to call Lionel for an RMA number. There was no name of a specific person in the signature of the email from snipped-for-privacy@lionel.com I called the number, and I was told that you don't give RMA's over the phone. I was informed that Lionel would mail me an RMA number. I was also informed that RMA turnaround time was 4 weeks at the time. I was also informed that Lionel won't reimburse me for shipping the RMA to Lionel. I'm still trying to stay positive.

Dec. 30, 2004 - The Lionel RMA would have taken 6-7 weeks total time from Dec 30, 2004, so I decided to take my train set to Larry's Model Trains in Midland Park, NJ for warranty repair. Larry's is a few miles from my house. Larry's is a certified Lionel Service Station. I'm trying to stay positive hoping that Larry will fix the train sooner than Lionel can.

Jan. 7, 2005 - Received the RMA number from Lionel Customer Service. I'm holding onto the faith that Larry will return my train any day. Trying to stay positive with my faith in Larry.

Jan. 8, 2005 - I sent Jerry Calabrese a letter to the Lionel Chesterfield location describing my first experience with Lionel, my dissatisfaction, and my recommended corrections for Lionel to take. Jerry never responds, nor does he have customer service attempt to contacting me. This does not surprise me. This is typical CEO behavior.

Jan 15, 2005 - Larry's Model Trains returns my train set to me. He claims that it is fixed. He claims that the reason why it took so long to repair my train was because he didn't have the parts in stock. He returns the train to me in worse condition than what I sent it to him in. Not only does he not fix the RailSounds, nor Caboose smoke, he adds a new "feature" to the engine. After the engine has been traveling forward in forward only mode, it sometimes decides to go backwards. The only way for me to correct the situation is to remove the engine from the track, place the forward/normal switch to normal, place it back to forward only mode, and return the engine to the rails. You wouldn't believe how angry I am at this point.

Jan. 18, 2005 - I decide to use the RMA number that Lionel supplied me. I send my engine, tender, caboose, transformer, sales receipt, letter describing the problem & dissatisfaction, and Larry's repair ticket to Lionel in Chesterfield, MI via FedEx.

Jan. 20, 2005 - My shipment is signed for by R. Stroker of Lionel in Chesterfield, MI at 9:51 am.

Feb 7, 2005 - I send a status inquirery to snipped-for-privacy@lionel.com and snipped-for-privacy@lionel.com. I called Customer service. Constance Duey gives me the attitude that she's heard it a million times. She tells me that the service department is currently working on RMA's received the first week of January, and that I will have to wait my turn. She doesn't care to hear my story. Her only interest is to get me off of the phone. Without me knowing, she takes my RMA out of the repairs queue because she doesn't like my attitude.

Feb. 8, 2005 - I receive about 10 email messages from both snipped-for-privacy@lionel.com and snipped-for-privacy@lionel.com . They conflict in information as to what is being done. One says that my train is being returned, and the other says that there is no record of my train being repaired and returned. I am asked to call Customer service to get this straightened out. I call customer service back, and they refuse to talk to me. After about 10 calls to customer service, I learn that Constance Duey took my train set out of the repair queue. She refers me to her supervisor Mike Brugan (spelling?) for all future discussion on this RMA. Mike Brugan is out for the day. I called Jerry Calabrese's office to talk with him about this issue. His receptionist blocks me and takes a message. Jerry never returns my call.

Feb. 9, 2005 - Mike Brugan of Customer service calls me to inform me that he has returned my train set to the repair queue. No ETR.

Feb. 15, 2005 - I still don't have my train set back. I have no idea if or when or what kind of condition it will return to me in. I see that Jerry Calabrese is hosting a chat session, so I decide to put this together for him. I doubt that he will read it, nor do I think that he cares. Lionel has made me feel like one of P.T. Barnum's "Suckers".

Feb. 16, 2005 - My boys still don't have their train.

Reply to
Peter Rohrman

Yikes! One would think that they would send you a brand new set (that has been tested to make sure all is ok). Over the years, dealers often replaced any defective items with a new tested one. Things change.

We lost our dial tone on our phone line a couple weeks ago on a Sunday evening. The call to Verizon was taken by a "robot". We had to call back the next day and they were supposed to send someone Wednesday. We called Wed. and they said that the service call had been cancelled! They finally came and repaired the problem on Friday. 4-1/2 days later. It was a problem in the outside box.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Wow! What a mess...

Just curious, did you contact Charles Ro? I'd be interested to know what they can do.

Kel

Reply to
Kel Cruise

I suggest that you forward your experiences to CLASSIC TOY TRAINS and MODEL RAILROAD NEWS too. Will they print it? Dunno.

Peter Rohrman wrote:

Reply to
Martin F. O'Rourke

[snip a Tale of Woe....]

Well, Peter, this is a horrendous experience all right. How the mighty have fallen! Lionel used to be known for making toy trains built like Mack trucks. Oops, now someone will tell us that Mack trucks aren't built like Mack trucks anymore, either. :-(

My advice: ask for your money back, and invest in a good quality G gauge or HO scale set instead. AFAIK, Aristocraft and LGB are the toughest G gauge trains, and their prices are comparable to Lionel O gauge, with LGB somewhat higher. Bachmann is cheaper, and runs well enough, but their track is hollow, and doesn't stand up to repeated assembly and disassembly. But then, if you're serious, you will build the set on a table anyhopw - repeated operation on the floor is not good for trains (and it plays h**l with your back :-)

Good HO starter train sets are made by Athearn, Walthers, and others.

HTH&GL

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Kel,

I did contact Charles Ro about the same time I contacted Lionel for an RMA number. They gave me an RMA number over the phone (unlike Lionel). The said that they could fix it under warranty quickley. Charles Ro didn't propose to send me new set. I didn't think to make that proposal either. Charles Ro said that I was responsible for shipping it back to them. Charles Ro said that they would pick up the shipping back to me. I decided to take it to the local Lionel Service station first for these reasons:

(1) Lionel's turn around time was a joke. (2) Both Lionel and Charles Ro wanted me to pay for shipping to them. (3) I assumed that Lionel kept a close eye on there Service Stations' training and stocking needs wich lead me to belive that Larry's Model Trains in Midland Park, NJ was just as competent as the tech's working for Charles Ro. (4) A local drop off and pick up shaves 2 weeks of shipping off of my return time. (5) Lionel's RMA number was in transit to me, and I didn't know when I would get it. (6) I got a strange feeling about Charles Ro while talking to the person that gave me the RMA number. It was like he dreamed up the number. As soon as I asked him for it, he gave it to me without a fraction of a second of delay. I didn't hear him make a single key stroke on a computer to generate an RMA number. He said to attache the number to the shipment, and include my information in the box. I don't think that he took down my information. I was a little scared that my train would get lost. (7) The local guy said that it would take about a week if he didn't have parts. And a few days if he did have the parts.

In hind sight, I should have sent it back to Charles Ro, or proposed that they send me a new set. I didn't have the image of them in my head that I have now of them. I didn't have much interaction with them, and I had no input about them at the time. Now, I think they are a solid, well run company. If I had thought that well of Charles Ro back in late December, I might have my train by now. I plan to use Charles Ro for all of my future train needs.

Pete

Kel Cruise wrote:

Reply to
PeterRohrman

Bill,

Thats ironic that you use Verizon as an example. I lost dialtone at home yesterday, and it hasn't been restored yet. Want to jump on the Verizon bashing newsgroup with me?

Pete

Reply to
PeterRohrman

Thanks for the idea. I did just that. I also started a discussion on trains.com and ogaugerr.com's 3 rail forum under the same subject, but I think that the thread was bounced off of the ogaugerr.com forum. I think about 600-700 people saw my postings.

Reply to
PeterRohrman

Dear Mr. Calabrese & Lionel Staff,

I so wish that I had waited another day before I started publicly posting my experiences with your company and repair chain. If I had waited, there would have been no reason for my postings. My boys' engine, tender, transformer and caboose were delivered to my home today while I was at work. Your repair time was much faster that I expected, and still fell within the 4 week time frame that I was told back in December by your customer service staff. I should have sent it back to your team in Chesterfield, MI the day I discovered that there was something wrong with it, or I should have allowed Charles Ro to handle the issue. I should have never brought it to the local dealer for repair. Please accept my apology for dragging this issue onto a public forum. Some of the responses to my threads were humbling. I regret doing what I did. It wasn't right of me to do to a company that is doing it's absolute best to bounce back from a tough verdict.

After an hour session with the engine, tender, and transformer, my boys and I found nothing wrong with them. All functions work up to specification now. It is very relaxing to watch my boys play with a train in perfect working order. After seeing and listening to how the train set should work, I no longer have issue with the amount of money I spent on it. The train set my boys have now is well worth the money I spent on it. I'm now considering putting a deposit down on an Acela set.

If there is anything I can do to assist Lionel in the future, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Peter Rohrman

Peter Rohrman wrote:

Reply to
Peter Rohrman

Pete replied: Thats ironic that you use Verizon as an example. I lost dialtone at home yesterday, and it hasn't been restored yet. Want to jump on the Verizon bashing newsgroup with me?

---------------------------------------------------- The wound has heeled now, Pete. I've already moved on the the next series of problems.

I hope you fare better than we did. We had to call Verizon numerous times to get the "quick" service! I was nice when I called and it would have taken a day longer. My wife talked to a supervisor and wasn't very nice. That brought 'em here a day sooner! That's why it only took 4-1/2 days to get here and about 1/2 hour to fix the problem.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Peter=A0Rohrman replied: Dear Mr. Calabrese & Lionel Staff, I so wish that I had waited another day before I started publicly posting my experiences with your company and repair chain. If I had waited, there would have been no reason for my postings. ***

I'm pleased that things worked out well for you, Peter. Maybe Verizon will restore your dial tone tomorrow.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Bill,

By the time I walked into my house, they had restored the service. My wife said that it took 5 field tech, and they climed almost every pole in the neighborhood.

It was a good ending to my day.

Pete

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Peter Rohrman

Pete,

Charles Ro would have been the way to go.

Since I work in a train store, I'll give you my spin on it. We do test run everything before we let it out the door, so we can know it works. And if it's a major problem, we just replace the part. But if they bought it from someone else, unless it's an easy fix, we'll advise you send it back from who you bought it from.

CR probably had the RMA numbers on a sheet in front of them. It's not like they get a ton of returns, so they just issue a number and then fill out everything when they get it. And paying for postage to send something back happens alot. If you'de like to avoid the postage, best to buy it locally.

Kel

Reply to
Kel Cruise

You were correct on all counts, they were wrong.

Reply to
Randy Sweeney