Williams vs. Lionel

Hi, All!
First some background before I get to my questions. We downsized our home
three years ago going from a typical suburban three BR split to a smaller
condo. My prized HO Railroad empire was a casualty; just not enough room in
the new home. Just this past summer, though, we completed development of
our basement and I was able to convince my wife to cede to me enough space
for a 4' X 8' train table which is now occupied by the Lionel O27 layout
that I have secretly yearned for since I was ten years old. I have three
Lionel locos and both freight and passenger rolling stock all of which gives
my grandchildren and I much pleasure. I would like to aquire more to add
more variety to my operations, which leads to my question.
I have noted, through ads in "Classic Toy Trains", the products of the
Williams Electric Train Company. They appear to me to be almoist exact (at
least externally) copies of existing and classic Lionel equipment but at
MUCH lower prices. A Lionel F3 A-B-A set is listed at $900 in the 2004
catalog where as a similar appearing Williams F7 outfit is listed on their
web site at $350!
I would appreciate comments from anyone who is familiar with the Williams
equipment as to the relative quality of their product.
Thanks,
Gerald Young,
Calgary, Alberta
Reply to
Gerald C. Young
Williams quality is fine. I even bought some nice Williams locos for my ex-wife!
What you migh consider doing is getting more running for your turf. The 4x8 can be cut to make a pointed end layout. You can then even pivot it to have a lower baseline.
To do this, find the center point on a 4x8 plywood sheet. from that point draw a parallel line along the long axis of the sheet to the right side center.
Then, mark the left side top and bottom edges two feet in from the left side.
Draw lines from the center point to these two points.
You now have two lines diverging to a central one. A "Y". On the left is a "house end."
Once cut along the lines, you can assemble the other two pieces as a second "house end" by flipping one of them.
Butt these two house end bottoms together and you've got far better usage of track space.
Run a piece of pipe down the middle (underneath), use it as the top of a sawhorse, and you can tilt your pike to work or store. Best wishes, -D
Reply to
David
Have the following Williams' locomotives and all are excellent in detail and performance. While they lack the more sophisticated electronics, they do have a quality whistle/horn and electronic reverse. Their products are, IMO, some of the best buys in tinplate: (2) FMs, GP9, AA Shark, and a BL2. Also have Lionel, MTH and KLine locos too.
Ray Hobin NMRA Life # 17XX; TCA # HR-78-XXXXX; ARHS # 2XXX Durham, NC [Where tobacco was king; now The City of Medicine]
Reply to
tcol01NOSPAM