Lionel challenger

Anyone have any experience with Lionel's new challenger?

Reply to
Howard Zane

I've seen it at caboose Hobbies here in Denver. Personally I'll wait to see Athearns. Not impressed with Lionel at their price.

Reply to
PaulS178

Howard:

There are two versions...

1/48 3 rail scale at $1400

The slightly smaller LionMaster at $700

I have the LionMaster Rio Grande Challenger.... 5 months old... where the Lionel has better proportioning than the MTH (Mikes Train House) Rail King version... MTH is too short & too tall.. MTH is 4 yrs old...

To date, I have made a few test Laps with the Li>

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

FWIW they have a review at tony's Train Exchange if you are talking about the HO challenger

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim B

I must be getting old..........I was referring to the HO scale challenger.

Reply to
Howard Zane

Howard, Read the review on the TTX site. Title is "Needs tinkering and lubricating". Actually according to the write-up it needed a lot of work.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Scott H commented: "I have carefully checked the mechanism and have found the source of the problem. On the front engine the crank pins on the first driver's rods catch on the crossheads. There is simply not enough room to have the crank pins clear, even on straight track. At slow speed the pins hit and jam until the motor generates enough torque to overcome the resistance. This can lead to some rather dramatic lurching of the locomotive at throttle step 1. Once the throttle is increased to step 3 or above the lurching stops. However, the front engine vibrates at speed - which is probably caused by the crank pins hitting the crosshead."

If you ask me, this is a problem that won't be overcome with tinkering or lubricating. Lionel's first HO release sounds like a dog!

Reply to
Frank Eva

How does something as serious as this get past inspection? It certainly raises concerns for pre-ordering any of these expensive engines in advance of a dependable product review.

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

The Lionel Challenger that is on display at the store where I work runs very smoothly. There is no need to lube or tinker with it.

I th>> Read the review on the TTX site. Title is "Needs tinkering and

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

I agree, 100%! The manufacturers have hobbyists over a barrel - if they don't pre-order, they may not be able to find one before the limited run is sold out. If they do pre-order, they could be stuck with a dog.

And you can't count on MR or RMC for "reliable" product reviews. Their "reviews" are more like advertising. I've never seen a single one that really took it to the manufacturer. Problems with Lionel's first HO release will be passed off as a good "first release", with the assurance that Lionel will do better next time! A lot of good that will do for pre-orderers!

Frank Eva Digital Railroader

Frank Eva

I hope your comments were directed at Scott H - I just quoted his comments as published at Tony's Train Xchange!

Frank Eva Digital Railroader

Frank Eva

Yes, Frank, I was trying to let Scott know that just because one item is not right doesn't mean the entire run should be condemned.

Sorry that it got posted under your message.

Frank Eva wrote:

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Anybody who pre ordered sight unseen this incredibly expensive first effort I would guestion. Lionel has long been known for O scale dogs and roundhouse queens. This loco does not look as good as the Broadway releases, and it is WAY too expensive.

Reply to
MrRathburne

The reason I asked what experiences folks may have had, is because I had to send mine back. I had ordered the Clinchfield version . It arrived.........hooked it up, programed it, hooked up a modest train, and watched the wheels spin. This is the same train my Key challenger ran away with plus 20 cars up a grade. I then blew the whistle..........I've never heard a moose break wind, but I believe this experience is as close as it gets unless you have a real moose in your train room and feed it re-fried beans and black coffee. Overall I think the workmanship is quite excellent........amazing what can be done with die cast these days! I was not gonna say anything, but when I called Lionel's customer service and was told to put it in writing......but......."I really would like to speak to someone as I can offer constructive advice!" Again quite arrogantly....."Put it in writing and send it in"! Oh well!! Besides the numberboard lighting being poor.....(no diffuser to even presentation), I'd guess there was great effort from the "suits" in marketing to get these out before Christmas. It could have been seriously great if efforts were made to increase pulling power, and better testing overall................including electronics features. This is their first attemt at HO in over two decades, and I for one will try again, but I will not pre-order as I will have to insist on testing first. I may add that the wonderful imagery of the blue /orange/white boxes under the tree 50 years ago is probably the force that has driven and kept me in this hobby all of this time. I'll always be gratefull!! Close, Lionel, but no cigar!!! You were so close...............listen to your customers!! HZ

Reply to
Howard Zane

Dear folks,

What? Lionel is doing HO again? Oh no... Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski

Over priced junk was the general expectation. Seems that is the reality..............

Reply to
MrRathburne

Howard Zane wrote: I then blew the whistle..........I've never heard a moose break wind, but I believe this experience is as close as it gets unless you have a real moose in your train room and feed it re-fried beans and black coffee.

---------------------------------------------------- Appears as though the Lionel Challenger would be a lot cleaner and not as smelly.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Yes it is, but that is because it is oil fired, and not re-fried fired. However, the whistle sounds like it is running very wet. Like it is a saturated steam whistle.

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Sad commentary, if this is the best HO Lionel has ever done. Overpriced, slippery and the whistle sounds like a cow giving birth. If I really want to run Lionel HO bad enough, I'll put fresh rubber bands in my 1964 vintage FA's. Chooch

Reply to
chooch

A good part of the problem is probably baffles on the speakers. QSI just sells the boards and leaves it to the engine designer to apply proper baffling. Bad engine designers, bad baffling, rotten sound!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jon Miller