Lionel challenger

We got one in at the shop I work at. We had no pre-orders, so the owner ordered just one Clinchfield. It arrived missing one of the crank pins (short screw). Took Lionel

2 weeks to mail us a replacement.

The engine runs smooth, didn't have the problem posted by Frank that Scott mentioned. The whistle sound is a sore point, we referred to it as a expiring elephant. It sounds like a garbled diesel horn. Lionel says it's authentic. The whistle sound is not a problem with the baffles, as Jon suggested, as the rest of the sounds are clear and sharp. It actually has a excellent bell sound.

Although far from being a expert, I do most of the repairs (we're an authorized service station for both Lionel and MTH). If job security were an issue, I would have no concern at all, as long as both Lionel and MTH stay in the business. As for Lionel's attitude mentioned by Howard, that's the typical response one gets from them.

Me, I'm glad that the O scale stuff holds no interest, and will stick to HO and N scales.

As for pulling power, we have several HO modelers who do a round robin type get together at each other's layouts. The have pulled 107 cars (level track) with the BLI's N&W class A.

Jim F.

Reply to
Jim Flynn

suggested, as the rest of the sounds are clear and sharp< I'm glad I'm wrong here! Has anyone who knows what the whistle is really supposed to sound like commented?

Reply to
Jon Miller

The whistle on 3985 is a steamboat whistle. It has a very low, but voluminous sound.

I prefer the more shrill whistle sounds of the N&W and southern.

Homer

Reply to
Whithomer

SHRILL whistles on the N&W?

I'm no N&W expert at all, but ALL the purchased movies and tapes I have of the N&W indicate a very LOW pitch whistle ... often referred to as a "Hooter". This is the type of whistle that was on both #1218 and #611 the several times I saw each. The several N&W whistles that have been brought to the 'whistle blows' at Cass have all been low pitches as best I can remember.

Now, perhaps N&W did use other whistles too, but it seems the "Hooter" was the more common in later steam years.

If you want a high pitched whistle, consider a PRR "Banshee" whistle. Now THAT's shrill!

I'm sure the N&W aficionados will enlighten us all further.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Whithomer wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell