Stripping a shell

The guy at the hobby shop tonight supplied me with the second Stewart Baldwin AS-616 for a kitbash of a DT6-6-20 I'm building for him. I need to strip the paint off. What can I use besides commercial strippers to safely remove the paint without gutting the plastic? I know we've all discussed this before, and some mfrs' shells don't react the same to brake fluid, Pine-Sol, or alcohol. So let's just list them here by brand, and whether they're new or older paint jobs, so we can all copy this to permanent files on our PCs. What's safe to use on:

Athearn: Brake fluid (I've already done that) Atlas: Kato: Stewart: Proto 1K/2K: Tyco: Bachmann: others:

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Stewart: don't know P2K: rubbing alcohol, Chameleon P1K: rubbing alcohol Rivarossi (C-420): Chameleon Rivarossi (pass cars): rubbing alcohol

JCunington wrote: : The guy at the hobby shop tonight supplied me with the second Stewart Baldwin : AS-616 for a kitbash of a DT6-6-20 I'm building for him. I need to strip the : paint off. What can I use besides commercial strippers to safely remove the : paint without gutting the plastic? I know we've all discussed this before, and : some mfrs' shells don't react the same to brake fluid, Pine-Sol, or alcohol. So : let's just list them here by brand, and whether they're new or older paint : jobs, so we can all copy this to permanent files on our PCs. What's safe to use : on: : : Athearn: Brake fluid (I've already done that) : Atlas: : Kato: : Stewart: : Proto 1K/2K: : Tyco: : Bachmann: : others: : : : Jay : CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest" : :

Reply to
Michael Powell

Have used Pine-Sol and denatured alcohol with good results on both Atlas and older Kato (the Kato-Atlas stuff). The newer Kato, paint's almost impossible to get off!!!

Don't use anything but denatured alcohol. Have had bad results with everything else.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Sand blaster - use real fine grit - 240 or smaller.

Dale

JCun> The guy at the hobby shop tonight supplied me with the second Stewart Baldwin

Reply to
Dale Gloer

Don't have one, can't afford one. I was looking for chemical means.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

MDC: I successfully removed all the white lettering from a black gondola kit with an overnight bath in 70% rubbing alcohol. The body was black plastic.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

So far I've set my Stewart shell in brake fluid for 24 hours. Nada. The paint can be worn through with a cotton swab, but it won't peel off.

Alcohol is next.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Seems like I remember an MR article, either 2000 or 2001, testing drugstore alcohol on Stewart shells. My imagination?

Anyhow, whichever, the alcohol just peeled everything off after about a 40-minute soak. Maybe someone can come up with the exact issue. It was either the Monon on the cover or the Wabash on the cover ...

Sorry.

Reply to
Carl Zager

Someone (I think here in r.m.r.) suggested using oven cleaner on plastic shells.

Worked just fine for me...but took forever to get the shell completely clean. I thin it took three or four rounds of oven cleaner.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Chameleon works well on Stewart paint.

Reply to
Craig Zeni

I was trying to strip a very old Atlas (20+ year N scale C linear and brand new Lifelike BL-2. I used denatured alcohol. I do recommend caution however. I removed the clear plastic parts first. I also monitored the shells during the bath. I used a flowing cold water rinse. One thing I did find handy was an old model paint brush. It was fairly stiff bristled. It allowd me to clean the paint debris out of the crevices and details On the LifeLike BL-2, denatured alcohol was extremely effective. Loosened all the paint rather quickly. On the old Atlas, only so-so, removed the decals, and the paint under them quickly. The rest is patchy. I will have to try something else. Hope this helps. Paul

JCun> The guy at the hobby shop tonight supplied me with the second Stewart Baldwin

Reply to
Paul R. Bennett