Re: striping paint off models

Depending on the manufacturer of the shell there are several ways to strip paint off equipment. One of the most safe methods is using 91% Isoporal Alcohol, just fill a small container (one with a sealable lid is best to control fumes) and let it soak, if you forget its there no harm done. Most paint will slough off in a couple of hours, but there are types this will not touch. Other types of strippers you can try are, Oven cleaner, Brake fluid, Pine-sol, ELO (easy lift off), and another option is to purchase a grit blaster and sand blast the paint off, my least favorite way but if all else fails, a shot gun.

Reply to
R. Hargrave

mark pompeo wrote in news:3F12182E.1060604 @rogers.com:

I have tried oven cleaner with some success... but it is messy (be sure to wear gloves) and the fumes are bad. The BEST thing I have used is brake fluid... no fumes, no mess. Just let the model soak and wash off the next day. You can wash it with soap and water, and then if you REALLY want to make sure it is clean, just put it on the top rack of the dishwasher. Just don't use the "high heat dry" option...

Take care, Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Thistle

I'd recommend trying the pine-sol and the alcohol first and see if they work for you.

Brake fluid is considered a hazzardous waste and is supposed to be desposed of as such which is a hassle and most people just dump it down the drain.

Oven cleaners contain lye which is corrosive and can be hazzardous if you breath in the vapors.

Eric