Stripping Paint

A while back there was a thread about how to strip paint. I followed it. Unfortunately the precise details were rather lacking. Okay, Atlas... Pinesol, I can get that. And did. I rather think I made a boo' boo. I dunked the shell of a very old Atlas Fairbanks Morse C line'r in pinesol, and left it. For something like thirty six hours. Well, not exactly a continous thirty six hours. I would pull the body out periodically and scrub at it with an old tooth brush. Probably not the brightest thing I have ever done. Pinesol is pine oil, father of turpentine... At the end of that time, the paint was definitely gone, but... The plastic was soft. I know, I know, all you old hands are ready to scream at me "You Idiot!"

Sigh, would that I were aware then of the pertinent details. Now I am trying to get the pine oil, and the stink out of the plastic. I have been bathing it in water, with a touch of dish soap added. But even after a week, I take the shell out of the water, take one sniff, and clear out my sinuses. A bit of a cautionary tale anyway, and would that the specific details and suggestions were readily available Paul

Reply to
Paul R. Bennett

Don't feel bad, I've done it...and most other people have, too but won't admit it.

Some plastics soften really bad in Pine-Sol. I guess I'll add those old Atlas shells to the list -- but I had the problem on Bachmann N-scale C40-8 diesel loco shells. My dealer suggested using ONLY denatured alcohol to strip those shells (and luckily he had a replacement shell at a reasonable price...)

As for the smell....give the shell a coat of primer paint. That should eliminate the Mexican room freshener smell (i.e. Pine Sol).

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

: Sigh, would that I were aware then of the pertinent details. : Now I am trying to get the pine oil, and the stink out of the plastic. : I have been bathing it in water, with a touch of dish soap added. : But even after a week, I take the shell out of the water, take one : sniff, and clear out my sinuses. : A bit of a cautionary tale anyway, and would that the specific details : and suggestions were readily available : Paul

I did the same with MP shark shells. Got rid of it by soaking them in 91% isopropal alcohol. Left them in for a couple of weeks. However, the plastic wasn't "soft" when I started. It's worth a try.

Steve

Reply to
S C Sillato

The best stuff for stripping paint off plastic is Castrol Super Clean, the purple jug stuff available in the auto section. Walmart also sells their own version, works as well. It will NOT harm plastic. Use it in a plastic container, use rubber gloves and eye protection unless you want to be blind and skinless... You can use it repeatedly, but it helps to strain it through paper towels. It can harm metals, though... so watch out.

WinBear

Reply to
WinBear

Ah! I was trying to remember which brand gets soft in Pine-Sol.

Brake fluid is my first choice followed by denatured alcohol, then Easy Lift-Off.

ELO will take care of Stewart's paint, whereas the other two won't touch it.

I asked Atlas about shells at Trainfest. You can get them. Call/write and ask.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

You can also order them through their web page for certain loco types.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

snip

Reply to
res0xur8

Thanks much for the suggestion, worth a try. The plastic was not soft when I started either. Grins I will give the alchohol a shot and this time I will visit Eckerds first. As for the shell, I will give Atlas an email, but I am not sure if I can even get it any more. Would be nice, if I could, I will go for undecorated.

I am trying to build my own road name. It will be set in the Ozarks and down to Florida. The Route of the Pouncing Fox. I finally got the colors I want from Badger Modelflex, ACL Royal purple and a sort of rust red. Next I got to do the art for the logo and find a decal place that can do it. I have some serious creativity before me, got to pack the Ozarks down to the Florida flatlands and beaches in a four by eight N scale. And, a bit of cautionary humor for the newbies out there. Let this be a lesson to the uninitiated... Ah Grasshopper, investigate and consider carefully before rushing into a technique. Thanks kindly. Paul

S C Sillato wrote:

Reply to
Paul R. Bennett

KTØT

If you can't find 90%, 70% will work it'll just take longer....

Paul R. Bennett ( snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net) wrote: : Thanks much for the suggestion, worth a try. The plastic was not soft when : I started either. Grins : I will give the alchohol a shot and this time I will visit Eckerds first. : As for the shell, I will give Atlas an email, but I am not sure if I can : even get it any more. Would be nice, if I could, I will go for undecorated.

: S C Sillato wrote:

: > Paul R. Bennett ( snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net) wrote: : >

: > : Sigh, would that I were aware then of the pertinent details. : > : Now I am trying to get the pine oil, and the stink out of the plastic. : > : I have been bathing it in water, with a touch of dish soap added. : > : But even after a week, I take the shell out of the water, take one : > : sniff, and clear out my sinuses. : > : A bit of a cautionary tale anyway, and would that the specific details : > : and suggestions were readily available : > : Paul : >

: > I did the same with MP shark shells. Got rid of it by soaking : > them in 91% isopropal alcohol. Left them in for a couple of weeks. : > However, the plastic wasn't "soft" when I started. It's worth a try. : >

: > Steve : >

: > -- : > Steve Sillato : > Life; if you're not having fun, you ain't doing it right! Remember none : > of us get outta here alive!

Reply to
S C Sillato

You might find those C-Liners real cheap at some of the train shows. I bought one for five bucks, and as it didn't run worth a damn due to poor design of electrical pickup (wheels loose on axles, etc.) it still made a great display model for the road I like.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

I th>: Thanks much for the suggestion, worth a try. The plastic was not soft when

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Electric Light Orchestra? Band popular in the '70s. I prefer "The Stripper" from the '50s for my stripping chores tho.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Which hobby shops carry it? :-)

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

David Rose

Don

Reply to
Trainman

Paul Newhouse ( snipped-for-privacy@pimin.rockhead.com) wrote: : In article , : snipped-for-privacy@gcfn.org (S C Sillato) writes: : > If you can't find 90%, 70% will work it'll just take longer.... : : I think the 70% has some stabilizers in it, which leave an oily/waxy/??? : residue. :

Only if they have been added. Usually, it's also had color added. There is a type that has menthol and oil in it but is green in color; DON"T use it. Alcohol usually doesn't need a stabilizer; it mixes with water very well; as anyone who frequents a bar knows.

The kind that I buy for stripping paint is Kroger brand and it is pure alcohol and water; no additives.

Reply to
S C Sillato

My favorite method is with Chameleon. See

't failed me yet!

Chooch

Reply to
chooch

AAAAHHH, the product is a instrumental piece done in the '50s by David Rose for some reason and is pretty much the ol' bump and grind type music used back then in the stripper shows. Sometimes, it is the way that you hold your tounge that makes a difference as well as the music that you are listening to that makes a difference. I'll note that "Billy the Mountain" didn't cut it when I tried playing it while doing a 4-8-2 paint job.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Try Burnt Weenie Sandwich.

Reply to