Film left on diesel after stripping the paint

I stripped the paint of a Bachman fp40 diesel by first soaking it in brake fluid and removing most of the paint, then soakong it in isopropyl alchohol and removing the rest of the paint. There is a white film all over the body and I can't strip it off. I've used this method before on another bachman fp40 with no film. Anyone have this happen to them and what did you do to correct the problem. Thanks

Reply to
Billm

I suspect that what you are seeing is frosted plastic surface. I had similar experiences when stripping certain shells.

The brake fluid probably started attacking the plastic just enough to make it frosty looking. Alcohol washed the brake fluid away. When it dried, it looks frosty.

You should be able to re-paint it as-is.

Also, there are many better strippers than brake fluid. There were bunch of threads about paint stripping on rec.models.scale - search it for some good info.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Reply to
Billm

I agree you etched the surface a bit - hit it with a light coat of primer and you should be OK.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Forestieri