I can't tell you for sure, but I watched him take the boiler off and remove the
gear on top the towers to free up the wheels. Randy then moved the wheel set
with his thumb until he felt a "catch". He used a small file but I did not
watch that process. He also oiled everything including the tender wheels which
he said were causing a lot of drag. A new article just came out in Railmodel
Journal and Randy said none of the improvements he did were addressed in the
article except for the lube job. The article talks about being able to pull
about 30 cars after the fix. THAT IS HALF what either one of my improved
Challengers pull. You may consider shipping it back to Lionel to have them
address it. They got to see the second Challenger and consulted with Randy at
Grand Central LTD. on the fix.
I am not stretching the truth on this fix and I don't get any commission on
work for Randy. I will check with Randy and see if he will give a more detailed
description of his work. Frank if could send me your email I will contact you
direct. I tried to send you an email direct but it bounced.