Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Jake in Escondido

Thanks, Tim.

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

OK, I've been doing a little reading on this the past couple of day's. The gist of it seems to indicate that zinc in your lead is very, very bad . Is that what you were saying?

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Me? Idunno, I was just looking at the phase diagram. It doesn't say anything about mechanical properties.

At a guess, I would say it would be slightly stronger, depending on if there are any grain refiners present (very pure Pb and Zn will grow huge crystals). Past about 0.5wt% (hypereutectic), zinc will form first (constituting the "mushy state") instead of lead, probably resulting in a crunchy alloy.

In general, metals that aren't very soluble in each other (there's a glaring "L1+L2" region on the phase diagram, indicating immicibility) don't usually make very nice alloys.

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams