Leaf spring pivot bolts

Hi group. I am a rookie metalwoker trying to replace the spring pivot bolts in a dual axle, crusty old boat trailer. Judging from the online trailer parts vendors, the bolts are 1/2 inch, grade 5 bolts.

I have cut the brackets that hold the springs to the bottom of the trailer. The old spring pivot bolts are rusted solid in the ends of the leaf springs. does anyone know any trick to removing these?

I have at my disposal a sawzall, angle grinder w/ cut-off wheels, a mapp gas torch, and an AC stick welder, along with basic hand tools.

Can I heat the ends of the springs without damaging them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andy Hall Lynn, MA

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

A bolt through an eye at the spring ends? Once you have the head or nut off of one of the ends (by hack or sawsall, or cold chisel), you can use a short steel or brass round rod and hammer to punch the remainder out. If the spring is free, hold the eye vertical over vise jaws opened to either side of it, place the rod on top, and hammer the bolt down through the eye.

If you are working with the spring on the vehicle, place a three-pound hammer near (not over the bolt head, of course) the back end of the eye, and similarly use the rod and hammer (with your other two hands) to punch the nut-shorn bolt through. Frank Morrison

Reply to
Fdmorrison

Thanks for the responses, I ended up "gouging" the ends of the bolts off with the welder. This heat loosened up the bond between the bolt and the spring eye. I then pounded the remains of the bolt out with a rod and BFH.

Thanks again. Andy Hall

Reply to
Andy Hall

I use a air chisel with a pointed .401 shank tool, just put the tip on the end of the stuck bolt and let'her rip.

Reply to
Tony

Be carefull, a sharp chisel or punch will often dent in the end of the bolt and cause it to swell. Not a good thing when you are trying to drive the bolt out. I like to use a chunk of bar or a flat faced punch (or in a pinch just an old bolt) rather than a pointed punch or chisel.

Dave

Reply to
David Peterson