LED flashlights -- a phlashlite phreak's phavorite

There's a bewildering myriad of LED flashlights out there to choose from.
My personal favorite is, unfortunately, no longer available. It was
only marketed for a few months. It is a Cosmos 1-watt Luxeon lite with a granular reflector, runs off a single 123 cell. It's considerably brighter than a Minimag 2AA with a uniform spot, no patterning. Its light output is constant from new cell to 95% dead. It's only 3-3/4" long x 1.080 dia. I have it in my pocket all of the time, use it several times a day. With that sort of use, a cell lasts somewhat over a month. Jerry Martes reports similar usage and experience.
I've been carrying it long enough now that some of the black anodizing has worn off.
Cosmos still offers that light with a 3-watt Luxeon, which I think is overkill for everyday use and wasteful of battery life.
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:04:04 -0500, Don Foreman

Don, Is there any way you could make a mold of that reflector? I would even send you some silicone rubber mold making stuff if you wanted to. The reflector design you have works well but seems to be rare in flashlights. I think I can use a silicone mold and conductive paint to electroplate a good reflector. Eric

Maybe. Let's take this offline, Eric. I have your email addy that worked a few months ago.
I was just given a Surefire L2 as a gift. Its incredible and I never knew an LED flashlight could put out that kind of light-100 lumens on the high output mode, 15 lumens on low. Its a 5w I think, and runs on two 3v lithium cells (which have gotten WAY cheaper in recent times). It's something I would not be likely to buy myself at $165, but its super cool. Check out the surefire lineup.
--Dan