Tool holders for Smithy?

We have a Smithy Granite 1324 in the machine shop that lacks adequate tooling. It has the 4-way indexable turret tool post that accepts up to

7/8" tool holders. I can borrow some stuff from the CNC lathe if it isn't set up but I'd like to pick up a few HSS tool holders specifically for the Smithy, for making small parts by hand which is difficult and risky on the big lathe. What have you Smithy owners found useful?

Jim Wilkins Segway lab tech.

Reply to
jim.wilkins

That shouldn't have been a Smithy-specific question. It has the type of toolpost that relies on shims to raise the cutting edge to center height. Assuming I don't have the option of replacing it with an Aloris, what's the least annoying type of tool holder to buy for it? Some users will barely know how to operate the lathe so I want to keep everything simple.

I was thinking of buying cheap import Armstrong-type tool holders, annealing them and milling the bottom down so the point height is

0.800" without a shim. My budget for such non-electronic-lab expenses is very small.

jw

Reply to
jim.wilkins

I bought my AXA Phase II would-be Aloris clone for 80 bucks, shipping included. What would be the advantage of klugeing something?

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Take a look at

see the ones I made for my Smithy years ago. They've worked sufficiently well that I've been quite un-motivated to do anything else.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards