LED Flashlight Stuff

http://www.led-replacement.com/terralux.html
Gunner
Political Correctness
A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Cool! ..or hot..for the 3W+ without a big heatsink! ;-) Just bought a 1W Luxeon star clone for $9.00 here in kanada. Working on a dimmer circuit for it (for a microscope illuminator). Don't look at those suckers directly when your running 350 mA+!

You are gonna love it!
Check out http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/ringlight /
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 01:09:46 -0500, Don Foreman

Pretty sharp! Ill have to make something to fit the Nikon and Spencer scopes.
Gunner
Political Correctness

The TerraLux jobs work just fine -- but the easiest, cheapest and least-hassle approach might be to use the MagLED replacement "bulbs" for about $20 at Wal-Mart. (No shipping) Then you don't need a drive circuit, it's all in the "bulb" just feed it 3 volts DC. Or, go with the model for the 4-cell MAGlights and feed it 5 to 6VDC. They're 3-watt Luxeons, though they're not driven quite to the full 3 watts. Puhlenty of light for a microscope illuminator.
They do want some metal around them for heatsinking. Don't need a lot, but you do need a little.
You might also want a little reflector or molded collimator. The reflector out of a 99-cent flashlight would probably work just fine.
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:39:41 -0500, Don Foreman

I just bought 3 (3) led flashlights from the 99c Only chain store. Takes 2 D batteries, individual molded reflectors around a main reflector that focuses the 3 leds into a common beam. Rather well made actually. The same flashlight was sold a few months ago with a krypton bulb and in fact..the packaging said "3 LED" on the front, yet said "powerful krypton bulb" on the back..so it was done quickly to get a foot into the market.
They also had a very interesting 3 color "beacon" with a pen clip and a tiny Carabiner on it. Bout .5 in diameter, 1" long, clear dome on one end, decent O ring seal. Twist the transparent cover to turn on. Blinks in a 3 color pattern. Interesting use for campers, hikers and so forth. I used one the other night to help find my lady friends white automobile in a Walmart parking lot..in a lot filled with nearly identical small white cars. I clipped the pocket clip to the antenna and then we went shopping. Very easy to pick out her car when we got out.
Ive not taken the LED out..but from looking through the dome..it appears to be a monolithic LED with 3 elements in it. Uses a stack of very small watch batteries..which is gonna be the weak link.
Should have been a couple AAA batts or something
Gunner
Political Correctness
Gunner sez:
"...LED with 3 elements in it. Uses a stack of very small

Yeah, but: The key to miniaturization is the small button cell. It would take one AAA cell to replace each button cell. In most all cases (pun ?) this would negate the intended "tiny" size.
Bob Swinney

Where in the GWN?
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:46:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.hfx.andara.com wrote:

Lee's Electronic in Vancouver. They also have them at Active Electronics for $9.99 I'm not so sure of the quality at Active lately though..just bought a couple of their so called "shake-LED-flashlights" yesterday and found out they're the fraud units with 4 button batteries inside!! I'll be returning them this week.

Thats been a ongoing scam for several years. Its well known over on the survival newsgroups and Ive posted warnings here about it at least a year ago.
its likely the store didnt know they got ripped off btw.
Gunner
Political Correctness
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:39:34 GMT, the renowned Gunner

They should get someone who knows what they are doing to source this stuff. They used to be the retail arm of Future Electronics, a major North American electronics distie. Shirley someone there knows their a** from a hole in the ground, or knows enough to hire or contract someone who does????
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:17:37 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

That sort of thing is a "novelty item" for most stores. When the 99c stores sell em for 99 cents...you know a case of them dont cost much.
Shrug
Gunner
Political Correctness

They were on sale for $5.99, marked down from $14.99 IIRC. If they were a buck, no worries - I'd throw it away or gut it for parts. I buy handfuls of $1.00 laser pointers to give away/whatever & ~20% of those puppies never work- straight out of the package. The thing that I'm most PO'd with is the fact that they advertise them for "emergency use" and Active Electronics are, or at least were, a reputable company. And yes, I did read your post on the scam lights..just never thought Active (and myself) would be taken in on it.

Here is a link to LED journal http://www.ledjournal.com /
This guy is quite authority on illumination http://members.misty.com/don/index.html
--

Boris Mohar