light Rust Removal

Iggy. I recall the late 60's & 70's as being particularly violent, and your stats confirm that. The other poster is right. You need to look at the 50's and possibly earlier. It was in the 80's that things began to improve again. Lots of things changed simultaneously to bring about the improvement. Which ones were the main drivers of change is a political argument.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Did you mean the total numbers of murders is not a huge number - that is 5 or 10 per 100,000 people per year? That doesn't sound like much, but the RATE about doubled between 1960 and 1980.

Geez. How did I get sucked into this discussion??? This is supposed to be a metalworking group. A bunch of you guys have Bridgeports and fixed them and nobody responded to my query about bearing and bushing replacements, and yet a whole bunch of us discussed this.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Wasn't it about 1963 we "kicked God out of the schools"? I suspect "change" started to accelerate about then.

Of course no one kicks God anywhere, but a few "geniuses" thought that's what they were doing.

Reply to
Al Patrick

You notice a general rise for years and then in the mid-nineties it starts back down a bit. Isn't that when we started *re-defining* crimes of all kinds and changing the rules on everything else? Remember ol' "Teflon Don" - also known as "Slick Willy" - was in office about that time. :-)

Reply to
Al Patrick

You're right. We strayed very far from the origin of this one subject line and I've been guilty of posting/replying to many very off topic messages. I'll try a bit harder to stick to the intent of r.c.m. Sorry about that! *This* subject was on topic originally. ;-)

Reply to
Al Patrick

The mid-'90s is when the very large number of inner city abortions by single mothers, that were conducted soon after Roe v. Wade, would have produced young men of around 17 - 22 years of age. The connection is debatable, but economist Steven Levitt produced some eye-opening research that showed a remarkable correspondence between those events.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 04:08:28 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress" scrawled the following:

--snip--

It's not debatable with me. You take one or two uncaring parents, produce an unwanted child in an afflicted area, stir, and in less than two decades you have Reverend Wrights, Farrakhans, and other terrorists. It appears to be true for all races, since murderers and large gangs are found in each.

-- If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves. -- Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ignoramus29895 wrote in news:lZWdnXnD1YRBu4PUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Only in Yankeeland.

Reply to
Eregon

neck of our

And we used corporal punishment in schools Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

neck of our

True. When I was a wee lad the Catholic kids all went to the Parochial School where the sisters kept order with a long wooden ruler. Complaints to Father about your kid getting whacked with a ruler were met with the comment, "send him to public school then". The Catholic kids transferred to Public school in the 8th grade and were the sweetest, most well mannered children you ever saw. Took them a couple of years to get as rowdy as us public school wastrels.

Discipline is a good thing. Cheers,

Bruce (bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

via mail order

the neck of our

They were also about two grades ahead of us on the learning curve

Reply to
RB

That also coincides with the first few states issuing concealed handgun permits.

Reply to
RB

via mail order

the neck of our

Actually they were. but I wasn't going to get into that. I already got told off by a grade school teacher because I made my kids memorize the multiplication tables. "You don't understand, Sir. We don't do that any more. As you aren't a trained teacher you probably wouldn't understand....."

Cheers,

Bruce (bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

via mail order

the neck of our

The high school principal called me in for an interview regarding second son's vocabulary; I explained the four new expressions I had learned while walking from the front entrance to his office. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller