Limit switch timing from a cam

In this pic, you can see a cam that operates a lever that is part of a wire cutter. This is an old pic and we now use a roller instead of a cam but the chain drive is the same. I want to replace this whole drive mechanism with an air cylinder to move that lever. I roughly figure a 2" bore x 1" stroke will have enough guts.

I need the cut timed within one degree of rotation of the same 1" shaft that drives the chain. I want to be able to easily adjust the timing and have adjustable dwell. Is there an off-shelf item to do this? I will need two separate operation switches on the shaft.

I currently use an air limit switch on the other mechanism driven by a cam that I constructed and we have to replace those switches four times a year due to failure. Would electrical limit switches and solenoid valves be more reliable?

We are building the third of these machines. The first two are constantly scheduled for overtime and weekends. The logs show less than 70% up-time due to all sorts of little issues that we are addressing on the third machine. I'd like to target 90%+ up-time, that would fall in line with what other machines log.

(tempest in a teapot---I'm the largest manufacturer of these items in the whole WORLD)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There's this...

I know I've seen other brands, but can't think of the names right now.

The traditional way to adjust the timing and dwell of a cam is to use a pair of plate cams sandwiched together by a clamping hub. Here's a photo of a camshaft on a spring winding machine I tooled up. Someone else made the fancy graduated hubs - I doubt anyone ever really looked at the numbers.

If you can get away with a homing routine at startup, a quadrature counter or a cheap PLC and an encoder would also work. If you're sure the shaft will never turn backwards, then the quadrature is unecessary.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I should have mentioned, if it's not obvious, the dwell is adjusted by changing the overlap of the plate cams. The cams are usually identical so you get a 2:1 adjustment in dwell.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Those are stock items, or somebody actually engraved them?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Indeed, some can boast of being the world's largest because they are the world's only manufacturer of certain niche items. Niches are nice.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I cant get that picture to load but google programmable limit switches. They use an rotary encoder connected to a control box which provides the switching.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Tom, Switches are a non-starter. You will never get the cycle rates you are looking for. I suggest you keep it simple and stick to hall effect sensors, amplifier and a solid state switch. Then drive a mechanical solution like an electrical clutch and brake or a simple dog clutch and latch or if the lever forces are not so high, a simple electrical solenoid. Avoid optical sensors in a contaminated environment, because dirt will get you. Hall effect sensors work in all conditions. Resolve the problem with simple electronics. I would not use pneumatics, as response times are poor and leaks are a pain.. If you use a solid state magnetic solution, be wary of back emf reverse biasing the solid state switch and use a diode of reverse polarity across the coil. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

"Steve Lusardi" fired this volley in news:g50bgo$dik$02$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com:

I'd like to suggest an alternative. Hall Effect sensors work reliably, but they're difficult to use in a mechanism requiring as tight an off-to- on angle of rotation as he requires. They're better for things like sensing rotation speed, or locating a position that's not so critical as Tom requires.

The alternative, and one that works well in millions (yes millions) of consumer machines, that works in hostile, hot, dirty environments; that can sense angles as small as 1/10th degree easily, and can easily be made to have adjustable dwell is: A controlled-reluctance sensor.

Pole width determines positional accuracy. Dwell can be established by distance to the sensed cam or by electronic means.

The cost is a bit more than Hall Effect types, because you'll require more electronics to sense and condition the signal. But it's minimal compared to the advantages they offer.

Just because you have a dirty environment doesn't rule out the use of optical choppers. Proper positioning can keep them clean in most applications. And they're the simplest of all types, providing all the features Tom wants without any complex 'tronix.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The most reliable and accurate way would be to replace the cams with an rotary optical encoder and electronic cam switch. One unit will do both switch operations. Adjustments are all done in software so changing timing is quite simple.

Reply to
sparky

I'm pretty sure they were shop-made. My customer bought the machine to produce a family of parts for a competitor who needed a second source as they transitioned to offshore production. The competitor reconditioned the machine for my customer and made some improvements to it, several of which had the character of those graduated hubs. They had a beautiful toolroom turning out all sorts of lovely overcomplicated little gadgets. It was so pervasive, I came to believe that culture of overcomplication was likely a contributing factor to the plant being closed.

Reply to
Ned Simmons