Linkedln invatition scam

LinkedIn Customers Allege Company Hacked E-Mail Addresses.

In an e-mail to Bloomberg yesterday, Deborah Lagutaris, whose LinkedIn profile describes her as a tax preparer, real estate broker and former law clerk, said LinkedIn contacted more than 3,000 people in her name, including those copied in on her e-mail messages.

"This means that not only direct e-mail contacts but peripherals as well," were used, she said. "I contacted LinkedIn and they said, 'Oh, you can remove all those invitations from your account manually. We don't know what happened.'"

Instead, she said she added a disclaimer to her LinkedIn page saying she hadn't sent the invitations.

Jeffrey Barr of Livingston, said in an e-mail that he estimated LinkedIn used as many as 200 names and e-mail addresses of his contacts, inviting them to connect with him on the site.

LinkedIn software engineer Brian Guan described his role on the company's website as "devising hack schemes to make lots of $$$ with Java, Groovy and cunning at Team Money!" according to the complaint. Java is a programming language and computing platform released by Sun Microsystems in 1995. Groovy is a another language for the Java platform.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would ever give LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, or anyone else their entire email list for any reason. But that default setting is absolutely not in the interest of the LinkedIn user. I'm going to dig into this one and let them have it with both barrels if necessary.

P.S: No, I didn't give them that opportunity to screw me.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's for sure. I've got Linkedin invitations from people I didn't know. I'd email them, and they had all gotten loads of complaints from people they had not meant to contact. I blocked Linkedin on my computer, and clicked the remove link, and all that.

. Christ> LinkedIn Customers Allege Company Hacked E-Mail Addresses.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I suspect there is some kind of program, malware, javascript or some thing that searches your drive for email adress. I expect it's in the fine print, and people just click approve.

. Christ>>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I get numerous invitations to become "linked in" with people I nver heard about. Very annoying. And on top of this, those invitations lack the :reject" button.

Ignoramus24746

Same problem here. I added Linedln to my spam junk mail filter. Seems to be working for now.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Almost every time you logon it asks for your email password. That's right. The password to your email account.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

And that is why it wants it, to spam other people.

Ignoramus4265

I am not a linkedln member. Never was, never will be.

What part of social networking did you fail to understand when you joined LinkedIn?

I never joined linkedln.

That is why any communication from linkedln is treated as spam junk mail.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Well ... since I host my own mail server, the password to my e-mail is the password to my account (which they could not access remotely anyway), and there is no chance that I would give them such information.

And -- there is also no chance that I can *see* that I would want an account on LinkedIn anyway. :-)

FaceBook wants your e-mail password too -- with the excuse that it allows them to identify your friends already on FaceBook. They don't get *that* either. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

First, it isn't from Linkedin it is from a person there.

Might be a friend of yours. Or someone that knows you and you didn't bother looking.

Strangers can't send to strangers.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Nope. Facebook and other social media sites want that so they can bring all your friends and clients on-board! Scary thought, wot?

It's a B2B networking group, so I do.

Roger, over.

Reply to
Larry Jaques