Long ago in a distant galaxy

they used to make 5 gallon metal cans. Metal wire handle. 2" or so spout with a 1' or so cap on top of that. IIRC, oil used to come in them. I need a couple for trash oil. Any idea where to find any?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Whats wrong with plastic 5 gallon gas cans with a nice spout?

Ive got a bunch of them I store oil in. Done it for years. Just keep em out of the sun. After 4-5 yrs..they get weak if left in the sun.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

They got "improved"

Stupendous Man

I keep my waste oil in 5 gallon plastic buckets with fitting covers.

wants to quit?"

speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Ignoramus30623

They still make them. I have a couple in the shop that I picked up on the side of the road. I believe that they originally held "Thompson's Water Seal" wood preservative. There is still some solvent based paint/stain/sealer like products still sold in metal 5 gal cans.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
Carl

My 2 2cent answers are: a. Round 5 gallon kerosene cans at HomeDepot/Lowes/etc - mainly sold for heaters? b. Military surplus 20liter/5 gallon "jerry" cans. IMHO the NATO/claw spout style is way better than the screw cap type. Lots of great design details

These are pretty expensive but also very nice plastic fuel/water containers in Jerry can style.

jj

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 23:51:43 -0600, the infamous "SteveB" scrawled the following:

You'll probably find plenty for "just" $75 apiece at an antique shop.

-- Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mcmaster-carr has the classic steel 5 gallon jerry can for $44.17, and various steel safety cans for quite a bit more...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 12:20:59 -0700, the infamous Jim Stewart scrawled the following:

Here's the new-age replacement:

2286 pail and 2288 lid with spout.