Looking for a whatsit

    --I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called. Anyone got an answer?     --Thx,
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

Cam follower?

Dan
    --Yeah I think that's the closest analogy; will see what I can find..
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

    --Yes but no; i.e. I just went to MSC and without exception every one has the bearing mounted on the shaft, so as to hold a side load. I need one with the bearing turned 90 degrees, so that the load is pushing along the long axis of the shank..
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
steamer wrote:

Look at casters, both in swivel and non swivel versions.
On 2/22/2011 12:55 PM, steamer wrote:

Hmm, The older Ford Escorts with the 1.9 engine use roller cam lifters. I've got a pair floating around here somewhere but can't locate at the moment. IIRC, they were around $16-18 each. A block with a bored hole, side slot, and clamp screw would hold them. If your design offers axial access, a separate adjustment screw and lock nut would allow adjustment and prevent it from pushing away from any load. Hope that explanation is clear...
Jon
    --Gotcha; that's similar to what I had in mind: threaded shank with height adjusting nut and shank in a holder that's bolted to the base. Holder has setscrew to lock bearing holder in place.     --Caster is an interesting idea; now if I can just find one with a 1/2" dia wheel! :-)
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

Cam follower?
Dan
yes, they're called a cam follower. They are available from bearing suppliers. They are relativley cheap.

Heim joint?
steamer wrote:

Rod End? <http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rod+end&aq=f&aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=
--Winston
    --Not a rod end exactly, as the bearing o.d. will be rolling on a surface..
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

OH, _those_. Those are called "bolts", Ed. ;)
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Most of those are actually Heim joints.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine
Larry Jaques wrote:

That'll be what I learned today. Turns out Steamer just wanted casters anyway. <http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-8-eighth-inch-x-7-8-eighth-inch-light-duty-rigid-caster-41512.html>
--Winston

That'll be what I learned today. Judging by the Wanted text, I'da never guess tit.
-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

If speed and accuracy requirements are modest see "ball transfers" -- the 2-axis version of what you've described. For example, McMaster pages 1229 thru 1231.
--
Ned Simmons

    --Aha! Yes I think those'll do the job; thanks for the link!
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
    --That's what I originally had in mind, but with a reeeeally short yoke to save vertical space as much as possible.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

Just a clevis?
http://pneumatics-en.timmer-pneumatik.de/artikel/artbild/maxi/z-gki-e-stz2.jpg
http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/189/18995_300.jpg