looking for putty-like stuff that cures

Yes, but what I want is to be able to take the underlay with fill-strips off as one piece. It'll HAVE to be flexible.

Reply to
unk

If I'm reading it right, he wants to be able to bend the underlayment.

I don't know about the calcium carbonate. I haven't bought the stuff for 15 or 20 years.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I think the silicone putty requires pure silicone.

Assuming the floor is relatively flat, one could lay down say, vinyl conforming to the grooves. Roll the silicone putty into a rope shape and press into the grooves using maybe a small roller. Glue the carpet or whatever to the vinyl and the whole assembly would lift out.

Reply to
Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why the hell hasn't anyone suggested a two-part urethane, instead of a "minimal shrink caulk"?

A two-part urethane rubber would cure in hours, is a STRONG adhesive, and can be easily 'released' from a surface with ordinary mold-release compounds.

Just spray the corrugations with release, pour the urethane a tiny bit 'proud' of the top ribs, and lay the carpet/backing down on the liquid. When it cures, pick it up in one piece, flexible as you'd ever want!

LLoyd (now... do NOT ask about the price... but you made the specs!)

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Any specific reason for doing it that (the hard) way?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The silicone putty wouldn't be cheap either, probably $100 if he needs

20 tubes, and would be tedious. I see a lot of different recipes on the net, some using oil and soap. This is pretty close to what I used.
Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

I am curious no one has suggested looking at the problem a fresh. If Bondo is used to fill in the grooves and provide a flat surface, why would you ever want to remove it?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

RTV has a very low surface tension. Which means that it will adhere to alm ost every thing, but once it is cured almost nothing will stick to it excep t more RTV. The two part RTV's have a lot more strength than the one part compounds and are pretty reasonable adhesives, except for the cost.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Because it's expensive as hell.

Yup.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Try it on your mouth and then report back.

Once again, the amazing Wieber is incompetently pretending to know what he's talking about.