Anyone sell a file card for needle files?

I think I've bought almost as many file cards as I am years old ;-)) but they all have fairly coarse bristles and not one has been suitable for cleaning out needle files [of which I have more than I have regular files]. I persist in using them, but the results are always less rewarding than I'd like, Google turned up nothing I could spot.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer/vendor who sells a file card suitable for (moderately fine) needle files?

TIA Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

A lot of experienced machinists and mechanics seem to feel that a file card should never be used to clean a file. Preferred alternatives seem to be a piece of brass or copper, pushed across the file. That said, there are small stainless steel or brass brushes that might be used - McMaster-Carr sells a pretty good variety.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

I use an ordinary brush with stainless steel bristles.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I use spent brass cartridges, flattened. They very quickly wear down to perfect replications of the teeth, and are just strong enough to dislodge everything, and I have yet to pay a dime for any of 'em.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Use a "Toothbrush" style wire brush, they have .006" SS wire and are redily available.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Best thing for files in my opinion as well . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Im sure our very own Tom Gardner can provide something appropriate for the task

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Would a 'suede brush' be appropriate? They are a small brush, with (I seem to remember) brass bristles?

I keep meaning to buy one for those places where a big wire brush won't fit.

Reply to
zedbert

In brass, as well. Three, for 99c, in yer local ghetto's 99c store--steel, brass, nylon.

Also, wouldn't ordinary med-coarse steel wool serve, as well? Or even Scotchbrite? Also at yer local 99c store. :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

File cards are a devious plot by the file manufacturing cartel to ruin and prematurely wear out files. For most files, I use a flat strip of brass. Several in fact, each one eventually worn down to match the teeth in various file sizes. The strips I use are about 1/2" wide by 1/16" thick, but that's just what I happened to have in the scrap bin. You push the strip into the teeth in the direction of the grooves. In a few strokes it cleans out all but the most stubborn stuff. What remains I clean out with a fine, brass, rotary brush on my flex shaft machine. But I avoid that .. also, be careful because a lot of "brass" brushes are just brass plated and the underlying steel wire is quite hard. After cleaning out with the brass strip, chalk the files. That is, rub in some chalk. You can buy fancy stuff like soap-stone strips at M&E, but I found some of those really big chalk sticks (1" x 6") at the dollar store at 6 for a dollar. I've also used pool cue chalk that I picked up for pennies.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

| > Does anyone know of a manufacturer/vendor who sells a file card suitable | > for | > (moderately fine) needle files? | | File cards are a devious plot by the file manufacturing cartel to ruin and | prematurely wear out files. For most files, I use a flat strip of brass. | Several in fact, each one eventually worn down to match the teeth in various | file sizes. The strips I use are about 1/2" wide by 1/16" thick, but that's | just what I happened to have in the scrap bin. You push the strip into the | teeth in the direction of the grooves. In a few strokes it cleans out all | but the most stubborn stuff. What remains I clean out with a fine, brass, | rotary brush on my flex shaft machine. But I avoid that .. also, be | careful because a lot of "brass" brushes are just brass plated and the | underlying steel wire is quite hard. | After cleaning out with the brass strip, chalk the files. That is, | rub in some chalk. You can buy fancy stuff like soap-stone strips at M&E, | but I found some of those really big chalk sticks (1" x 6") at the dollar | store at 6 for a dollar. I've also used pool cue chalk that I picked up for | pennies. | | Boris

Since I started getting answers here I've been using a stiff brass brush which seems to be pretty much the same thing and works quite well. Thanks Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

You might chalk your files also.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom Sez:

"> Use a "Toothbrush" style wire brush, they have .006" SS wire and are redily

Great Tom! If your company makes these, whyn't send some free samples to our friend across the pond so's he can brush out his mouth.

BTW, Tom - above you misspelled "readily". You don't really want to offend the keepers of the Queens's English with such peccadillos, do you?

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I don't make 'em, I buy good ones from Gordon Brush, they have the market. I buy the cheap ones from China. (I gave up my spellchecker for Lent)

Reply to
Tom Gardner