File, Find References, Copy Files: Truncating Long File Names

Hello All-

I just experienced this behavior this morning. It was repeatable. Has anyone else seen this?

The file Name was cut off after 57 characters.

XP Pro SP2

2006 SP0 Office XP 2003 Pro

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

How long was the path name in total?

Reply to
TOP

Total including the file extension (.SLDASM) = 174. The file Extension was retained, just the Name was chopped off. These are my customer's files.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Just a guess or two

If files on a network, Map a Network Folder to make the path shorter. Move files to to another folder to make a shorter path.

You weren't writing the files to CD by any chance?

John

Reply to
John Layne

"You weren't writing the files to CD by any chance?" Bingo!Yes, I was. Something I rarely do. So, why is this the source of the problem?

They were not on a network, they live in My Documents, in a sub-sub folder.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

"John Layne" >

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Aha! Some CD burning tools will truncate file names in an effort to comply with UDF (or is it ISO 9660?) format limitations in a "user-friendly" way (without asking).

I like to pack the files in a .zip archive to protect the file names.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Forget the Network path, that's not what was causing your problems, this time at least.

I use Nero to burn CD's, but your burning software will (hopefully) similar settings.

The Mode 1 in the pic should actually be Mode 2, however you need to relax the restrictions of the ISO standard to allow more than 64 characters. I was originally burned (no pun intended) by this in the past. I now relax all the restrictions and haven't had any issues with others reading my CD's since.

Regards

John Layne

John Layne

Thanks everyone. I learned something new today (again!).

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

"John Layne" time at least.

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

I suggest everyone to try "Long Path Tool" program. It?s really work for me.

Reply to
markian