low temp heating element

    The "Dropbox" is a private web site run by a member of the newsgroup (local to me, actually), who has set up a system so attached images e-mailed to a specific address are put up for grabs on the website.
    To find out about this, visit:
    http://www.metalworking.com /
and click on the [About the Dropbox] bar, which will tell you how to submit the images, and what things to avoid in filenames so they are compatible with more different systems. (Various things generate problems in various OSs. Spaces are a problem for unix systems (though they can be overcome), as are characters like ';', '&', '|' and several others. Replace embedded spaces with either hyphens '-' or underscores '_' and things will be fine.
    An alternative, if you have access to your own web site (perhaps your ISP gives you a small one with your account), you can put images up on that.
    Once you get the image on some web site (the Dropbox, or yours), then you post here the URL to access the image, and all is fine.
    An alternative, but more of a pain, is to offer to e-mail the images to those who are interested.

    Nope -- while it is possible technically to post images (and other binary files) to newsgroups, it is against the guidelines to post binaries to any discussion newsgroups. They are only acceptable in newsgroups which have "binaries" as part of the newsgroup name.
    What you are seeing through Google is a conversion of the standard newsgroup to a web-based forum. It takes an unusually long time for something posted through Google to actually show up in the Google view of things. Google's strong point (IMHO) is that it is an archive for things posted to newsgroups way back in time. (This newsgroup happens to have another archive at the FAQ site, but beware, because at least one of the yearly archives has two or three copies of an early virus included. No problem for my unix machines, but a possible problem for a Windows box.)

    Well ... *I* access the newsgroup through ceilidh.d-and-d.com, but that is a private news server, locked out to the outside world, and only available through my systems. (I happen to be a retired sysadmin who likes to run his own news server. :-) One benefit of this is that I can set the expire time to newsgroups like this to much longer than many ISPs set theirs for.
    Most ISPs either have their own news servers, or use other nearby servers. Many here have found other (for small pay) news servers, of which the one which I remember being mentioned is newsguy.com.
    While you're about it, while Windows comes with Outlook Express, which acts as a newsreader (among other things), but which is also a major path of infection via virii.
    Some other newsreader is preferred, and one of the popular ones for Windows appears to be Forte's "Agent". My own experience is with unix systems and the newsreaders on them, so I have no direct experience.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
Tear an old electric oven apart All the components are in there.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Wwj2110) wrote in message

I picked up an old electric skillet today. I can't use the heating element b/c it's embedded into the pan itself, but the temp controller is separate. on one end it has the cord that plugs into the wall, and the controller itself plugs into the skillet to power the heating element. In the between the power connections is a temp probe that contacts the bottom of the pan. the controller itself has a temp knob already marked in degrees F. It seems to me that this is the main part that I need. All that's left to find is something to use as a heating element that is about 12-14 inches long and maybe an inch wide.
Someone here mentioned that I could construct one out of a metal strip w/ some type of resisters. I need more info on how to do that. Any takers?
Rich

Take a look at the elements in a toaster oven....
Rich writes:

Specify heat, not temperature. Otherwise we have no idea what you have in mind.

I don't know how to specify "heat" vs "temp". I'm not a scientist. See my response a few posts up to see a description of what I'm trying to do. Thanks.
Rich
On 31 Oct 2004 08:16:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@beaconts.com (Rich) calmly ranted:

A friend of mine makes bird incubators and found some heaters and controllers at the Westpack expo we attended a few (gosh, 6 now!) years back. http://www.devicelink.com/expo/wpack05/ might get you in touch with some of the thermoformer vendors who use elements of that nature.
--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."