Lubricant for handwheel / table bearings

Folk, I have pried open my wallet and waved the moths out of it.. Jack Benny has nothing on me...

I broke down and got some Vactra #2 for my ways, now the question is what would do for the X, Y, and Z axis handwheel bearings on my Sieg X3?

The manuel calls for ISO 68 / 20W for the ways, but is that the right thing for slow rotation, low load bearings?

PS. I can't spin the handwheels fast enough to smoke the bearings. Don't even ask...

Reply to
Louis Ohland

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:29:18 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Louis Ohland quickly quoth:

OK, just hook 'er up to a 3hp router. That should do 'er.

For other fun uses of routers, see this missive from the Wreck:

--snip--

David F. Eisan Newsgroups: rec.woodworking From: "David F. Eisan" Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 17:28:03 GMT Local: Sun, Apr 1 2001 10:28 am Subject: Router Accident in the Kitchen (long)

Dear All,

This afternoon I was foolishly left alone in the kitchen with a seemingly simple task, whip some cream.

It all started when I was attempting to whip some whipping cream into, oddly enough, whipped cream with a hand whisk, and it seemed to require far too much effort on my part. I am sure a Neander would be quite happy with a hand whisk, but I was looking for a Normite way to get this done. Now I realise that most people have a power hand mixer, or what ever they are called, but I don't have one.

I started thinking, hmm, how much different could one of those things be from a router. All a hand mixer is, is a motor with a Jacobs chuck like ocket for whisks. Now if you think you know where I am going with this, you are probably correct. I got out the dial callipers and the shaft of the hand whisk was exactly 1/4". Woo Whoo, first problem solved, I can use the standard 1/2" to 1/4" bushing. I go out to the shop and take my three and a quarter horse Hitachi M12V out of the router table and back into the kitchen. Using my 21mm and custom ground thin 23mm Craftsman wrenches, I chuck up the whisk. Next problem, speed. I measured the diameter of the business end of the whisk and consulted my router bit speed chart. It said I should use

18,000 RPM. The only question left was technique, clockwise or counter clockwise. Since I was doing an inside cut, I decided on the standard counter clockwise.

I fired up the big green monster. Good thing the M12V has a soft start feature, because even with my elbows braced on the countertop, this is a heavy and unwieldy router to freehand in the air, but the torque was still more than I was prepared for and I almost lost it. Okay, here we are, full power. There was a quick blur of chaotic white liquid filling the air and as the blur subsided I quickly realised the bowl that previously held two cups of whipping cream was now virtually devoid of cream. I powered down the router. My face, glasses and upper body were covered in cream, as were two thirds of the kitchen. My better half, alerted by the unusual tool noise and loud cursing coming from the kitchen, walks in to ask just what the hell I thought I was doing. I wipe off, change clothes and come back to explain myself and clean up a very large mess.

Once I explained what I was attempting to the young lady I thought was about to become my ex-wife (I could see it in her face, as she thought, I cannot believe I actually married someone this stupid, Dad was right), who is standing in front of me with a look of such total disbelief that I would have previously thought impossible to display, I was told that 18,000 rpm was a little too high an rpm for a whisk, and that a variable speed cordless drill would have been the correct choice of tool for this task. We were out of whipping cream at this point, so I will have to wait until after I have a chance to go to the store tomorrow to find out if the cordless drill works any better. Damm, now that I think about it, it would seem like the drill press is the way to go, then I could be just like Martha Stewart, Emeril or the Cute short blonde lady with the bob haircut who has two shows on the food network and have one of those big stationary Kitchen Aid looking mixer thingies, Hmmmm.....

Live and learn.

Thanks,

David.

May you live in Interesting Times - Ancient Chinese Curse.

--snip--

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It is viscus enough to load the trace and stay there....

Here is a list :

Mobil DTE Heavy Medium Shell Turbo 68 Texaco Regal R&O 68 Arco Duro S-315 Amoco Industrial Oil 68 Benz Hycirc R&O 68 Pennzbell SHD 68 Citgear ht 68

Martin

Mart> Folk, I have pried open my wallet and waved the moths out of it.. Jack

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

ATF is always good.

Gunner