Lubricant for pillow block bearings

Hi,

I have recently aquired some pillow block bearings for a project. What kind of tool do I need to use to apply oil? and what kind of oil? The nipple where oil is applied contains a small pin that is possible to push in to open.

I have uploaded a picture of the bearings to:

Thanks,

Erling

Reply to
ere

That's a Zerk fitting for a grease gun, I like to use Slick-50 grease.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

See old posting to this group, with link to photos in drop box.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D Quote below.

Let me TRY to clear some of the controversy about whether it is a grease or oil fitting. I have an EMCO lathe which has flush type grease fittings installed. The machine came with an accessory greasegun filled with lithium white grease. To help all who are unfamiliar with this type of fitting (As a farm boy, I had never seen one of these before buying the EMCO), I have posted photos to the drop box.

The flush fitting is shown in file labeled: EMCO_grease_fitting.jpg

The greasegun is shown in file labeled: EMCO_grease_gun.jpg

Comment about these fittings. They are VERY inconspicuous. The previous owner had probably never noticed them, because they had never been serviced. The one shown is less than 1/4 inch in diameter, and is pressed in with only a small lip above the surface. It certainly won't snag your sleeve or shop towel. The greasegun is very small, but works well. The conical tip seals adequately -- the harder you push the plunger, the tighter it seals. Residue is certainly easier to wipe off than with the Alemite nipple.

Pat

Reply to
jwdoylejr