Worlds biggest wrench

I'm running a CNC plasma cutting table at the job and got a program to make a 1 1/8 wrench for taking the regulators on and off the gas bottles. This was of course an excuse so I could have the program. So it occurs to me I could make me some giant wrenches, so how big would it have to be to be the biggest? I've heard of some enormous wrenches at the steel mills. Right now I'm planning on 25 feet long which would handle a 24 in or so nut. The nut would come later. And no I don't have too much free time at work. Rosco

Reply to
Butter

Big nuts don't have flats. Btw the biggest nuts I've seen were 52" in diameter with a 25" thread.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

id love a picture of that

Reply to
erik litchy

If they don't have flats what do they have? Since this is just for fun I want the nut and wrench to look BIG. Where did you see these big nuts?

Reply to
Butter

the big ones I've seen are spun on by hand and have many bolts around them that are screwed down to stretch the stud they are screwed on to. no giant wrench required.

tom

Rosco

First thing that comes to my mind is what gas is in the gas bottles? Unless you really know the wrenches should be "non-sparking"

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

If you're twisting on a brass fitting hard enough to get sparks, maybe woodworking is more to your liking.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yeah, they're called Superbolts (there might be competitors out there but these are the ones I'm familiar with) at

were mentioned in Designfax a couple of weeks ago

Reply to
woodworker88

The head nut on a cone crusher is pretty big. the od of the nut is about

34 inches in diameter. They get spun on and then the tabs cast on the sides get beat on with a big sledge hammer to tighten them. They are then welded in place to lock them. They get torched off when the crusher is taken apart.

John

Reply to
John