Machine saftey

That's the "lesser of two weavels"...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:15:18 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Why do you dislike Thompson, if I may ask?

I liked McCain a lot; less since I've seen his stance on things.

Alain who? I love Michael Jesus Archangel's photo on

Far too deity damned many people will, I fear.

-- Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. -- William Faulkner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:01:58 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

I've been a big fan of Ronnie and George as long as I can remember.

Ah, a closet Democrat/Libertarian (respectively), eh? Religion should have no place in politics and deserves no welfare in tax breaks, IMNSHO.

Goodonya, Mate.

We're a lot more alike than you'd ever admit, I'm sure, but I don't know the differences you mention, nor will I likely spend days doing the research to find out.

Amen to that.

-- Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. -- William Faulkner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:54:50 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, nick hull quickly quoth:

So, what are you leasing, Nick?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, they have their chance now to vote for a Libertarian nominee. I kind of like that Robert Milnes guy. He's collected $35 in campaign contributions already, and he has an interesting plan to expand the population of Native Americans through surrogate motherhood. They'll get a continguous reservation and room will be made for them by subsidizing the emigration of volunteer whites and other people -- to Europe or somewhere -- to the tune of $50,000/each. That, he figures, will reduce the non-Native American population to around 100 million.

Or they could vote for Libertarian John Finan. He's collected $75 in campaign contributions and he runs a bar. He has a plan for providing underdeveloped countries with a UV-tube system that alters the DNA of pathogenic bacteria. Cost: around $40, or, as Finan says, about the price of one goat.

Libertarian platforms are always imaginative and inpiring.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Let me make clear that by "weak" I mean that their share-of-voice, as the ad men say, is small. On the whole their intelligence, and sometimes their arguments, are better than those of run-of-the-mill conservatives. But intelligence and coherent arguments are not enough by themselves to produce sensible policy. They might win more debates in a fair fight but debating points are not the same as wise insights. There's absolutely no chance they'll get a fair fight here, however.

I've probably told you that Will was my professor and academic advisor in college. He didn't have much influence on my thinking then but I've come to regard him more highly in the years since. He's ideological but not doctrinaire. He's always good for some surprises -- well thought-out ones, for the most part.

I've never been a fan of Reagan but I like him more in hindsight. He had a lot of weaknesses but also some great strengths.

Wash your mouth out with soap. I was once a Democrat but no one has ever gotten away with calling me a Libertarian. d8-) As for religion in politics, good luck.

I really doubt if most people here would recognize the others in person if they didn't know who they were. Nobody is as wacky as the messages you see on this NG.

The differences between the various ideas our founders had of a republic are important, but more important is just understanding the more basic ideas of a republic. It is not a simple thing, and the history of it is one of the most interesting things to study in political philosophy. You could almost say that tracking the idea of the republic through history gives you the best insights into how Western political thought has evolved. And you really have to start at the beginning, with the ancient Greeks, or you'll never really understand it.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Just the opposite of Johnny Cash's "One piece at a time"?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah. Oh, I forgot to answer another one of Larry's questions: I don't care for Thompson as president for the same reason I don't want someone removing my appendix just because he plays a doctor on TV. I just can't take Thompson seriously. And I can't take his campaign seriously. From appearances, he doesn't take it all that seriously, either.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

He has voted for and against gun control ;)

nick hull

You are aware, I trust, that he's a former U.S. Senator, not just an actor.

Reply to
Doug Miller

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:45:11 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Look at his buttfugly website (self-created, I'm sure) and then reading about his high IQ makes one wonder, doesn't it? He is fined ten goats for fraud.

I really like the end of the "goat", um, I mean "UV water purification" story. His last sentence there is "Lastly.... people should be able to dance wherever they want to in New York City, so long as the proprietor of the establishment allows it, not as dictated by the Mayor." It's tres apropos, non? It'll make a big difference in the lives of developing countrymen.

Yeah, we Libertarians do draw the bulk of the loonies, too, don't we? Reps and Dems have their share of megalomaniac millionaires. I guess that goes with the territory of the two most corrupt political groups in America.

-- Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. -- William Faulkner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, but he was a better government lawyer than a Senator.

I still don't take him seriously in his presidential bid. He said at one point that he didn't "crave" the job of president, and I think it's reflected in his campaigning. And the acting is a definite negative in my opinion. It may be cynicism on my part but I've always felt that people who act have a sort of split personality about what's real: genuineness becomes an option in their lives and sometimes they abandon it entirely. In any case they never really stop acting. It's never easy to take them seriously as real people, and that's a hard enough thing to do with a president even if he isn't an actor.

In my opinion, it always hurt Reagan with many people (including me) because he *looked* like everything was an act. Only after he's dead is it becoming clear to many of us that he probably was acting in character, at least. But the face we saw was always an act, and a professional, practiced one, at that.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Dance away your troubles. That's his plan for low-cost social services.

Just remember, a politician who isn't corrupt is one who hasn't been elected yet. When your total campaign contributions amount to $35 and you have no chance of winning, what are you going to barter for bribes?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

From where I sit, that's a *good* thing.

I can't disagree with any of what you say, but I do think Fred deserves a look.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No, kind of "all the pieces, all the time, very slowly", but yeah.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

One of my friends has a mid 70's beetle. its been painted once in HOUSEPAINT

thank god she hasnt figured out i can do bodywork. I elded the bumper back on and the bumper post has an unexplained amount of water sitting in it. which of course vented through the weld as hot steam since i was welding on that post

that caught me WAY off guard

Reply to
Brent

Its funny i grew up in a HUGE mining and fabrication town in Canada called Sudbury.

A story like that would have not made it past the local paper. It was "normal" to hear of about one on the job death a month or at least a major accident.

I'm one step removed form a lot of work related deaths and dismemberments. It was friends of family or family of friends. IN some ways i think its ODD when i now hear of a workplace fatality and the big hullaballoo that happens in the place i live now compared to the "local news only" where i grew up.

Maybe its the safety attitude Maybe its taking things in perspective.

Maybe i've gorwon up jaded to things like that?

Brent Ottawa Canada

Reply to
Brent

I don't EVEN want to know what you intend to do with those goats.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell