Mustangs collide at air show. 1 dead

Anybody know who was involved?

The Mustang on the ground appears to be Lou IV. Not sure about the green wing bird.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Gerald Beck, 58, of Wahpeton, ND, flying the green bottomed Mustang "Precious Metal", a P-51A, scratch built replica, which the EEA called the "Ultimate Homebuilt", was killed. Casey Odegaard, 24, of Kindred, ND, flying the other Mustang "Dazzling Donna", a P-51D, owned by his father, Bob Odegaard.

Reply to
willshak

on 7/29/2007 10:11 AM willshak said the following:

Sorry, that should be EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association), not EEA. Witnesses said that the two were landing, one after the other at the same time with Odegaard in the lead. Odegaard touched down and either slowed down prematurely, or Beck was coming in too fast, depending upon which witness statements are correct, and Beck flew into the tail of Odegaard.

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
Hub Plott III

on 7/29/2007 11:32 AM Hub Plott III said the following:

My mistake. It looked like Odegaard's Dazzling Donna from the google pic I saw (unless the pic was mislabeled).

Reply to
willshak

Add to this, "Bulldog", a Stitts S-1 (I'm prolly wrong) went in yesterday as well, in Dayton, Ohio and twos seperate chopper accidents, the two news choppers out west and the medichopper down south. There's already idiots on some talk radio shows saying how "some" private aviation should be banned because it's unsafe....

Reply to
The Old Man

Let's total up all of the traffic fatalities in ANY given day and just take away everyone's drivers licenses, why dont we...get a grip, idiots...

Reply to
Rufus

I live in North Dakota, and I'd never heard about either of these aircraft. We do have some guys who built a non-flying replica Bf-109 down at Casselton. Beck also restored this:

't be many of those around, especially the early version. or this either, which they also have:
one's owned by Bob Odegaard. They also have a standard Corsair and a Avenger.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

The helicopters buzzing toward police incidents like flys smelling a barbecue party might need a little rethinking. Besides the two colliding with each other, the crash scene was filmed from above by a third helicopter. All that rotor noise could interfere with police trying to communicate with each other while trying to do their job.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Rufus - That "some" private aviation is meant as homebuilts, gypsies, joyriders and most news choppers. The talkers didn't seem to find anything wrong Mediflights, commercials or any aircraft owned by someone whose net worth is in excess of $5million.... Saw one guy south of here (western New York) who got hold of a wrecked Veri-eze and converted it to a three-wheeled motorcycle (two wheels front, one driver). Painted it Federal Yellow and mounted a Volkswagen engine pumped up a bit - that sucker ~moved~! Of course the local gendarmes weren't too pleased by it.

Reply to
The Old Man

Think if he'd stuck XCOR rockets on it:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

As a private pilot myself, I'm more worried about the use of the word "private" in that private aviation reference. Next thing you know they'll want to take away your Cessna...just look at what boss Daily jr. did to Miegs Field in the middle of the night -

Rufus

Yeah the death toll from aviation in a single year is less than those in most states traffic fatalities. I guess we as a society consider automotive related deaths 'acceptable' whereas aviation accidents that result in a fatality are not. Both can be reduced dramatically, if we as a society would stop dancing around the issues long enough to act on them.

Reply to
bluumule

Why is it that we need five news and one police helicopter chasing someone driving a stolen vehicle. For the police, it is part of their job. For the TV stations, it is a means to increase revenue through higher ratings...and feed the people who thrive on this frenzy or sensationalism. Look how many helicopters and vehicles followed O.J Simpson, why do we need see this on live TV? Are our lives so mundane that we need this crap to make our lives worth living to see the next idiot do something stupid or illegal?

Reply to
bluumule

I think that is about the size of it, yes. That's why people make videos of their wedding night... it's not completely real unless you see it on television. The movie "Fahrenheit 451" hit that aspect of the future right on the nose; between that and "Network" television's future was very accurately prophesied. There's some photos of the incident here:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I agree, I'm not a pilot myself, although I've started the attempts several times. I did try to take a flight up over Niagara Falls from Buffalo every couple of years with a friend (who ~is~ a flight instructor), usually in a Piper Seneca or Cessna 172. However, since those morons did 9/11, that is a trip that's pretty much gone; there's too many hoops to jump through to make it enjoyable, probably because in addition to the Falls, I'd also fly over the Niagara Falls Power Project. That supplies electricity to about 1/3 of the Northeast United States. Even the sightseeing helicopters are pretty much gone.

Reply to
The Old Man

That's a shame. I used to fly folks past the Gateway Arch in St Louis on occasion. It was fun because you could just follow the river and transition at eye level with the Arch after getting permission rom Downtown tower. You'd get a wonderful view of both the Arch and the city of St Louis...hope it's still that way.

Reply to
Rufus

Which underlies my dismissal of the idea that the idiot on the ground who stole the trucks should be charged for the deaths of the 'copter crews. I'm sorry, he might be responsible for any damages caused on the ground but I fail to see why he should be responsible for a crash caused by one or both pilots not paying attention. They weren't there under any official fiat. They were just hi-tech rubberneckers.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

That's just what I thought also; charging the suspect in their collision is downright crazy. In fact, you might want to charge the stations who owned them with reckless public endangerment or gross negligence.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery