Any theories on what is causing the New York/Queens power outages?

Any theories on what is causing the New York/Queens power outages? The public news reports are vague and unscientific, but seem to indicate some problem with a failure in distribution.

Here is a link to the recent story:

Beachcomber

Yes, ConEd's policy of not worrying about anything until the lights are completely out.

Toward the twilight of my working days I did a bit of field service and engineering for a large electrical equipment manufacturer. More than once I was sent to NYC, and some of the situations were absolutely unbelievable. I went to one job in Queens, near the Archer Avenue Subway station, where a customer couldn't get a large motor to start. Investigation revealed that the "208" coming in to his facility dropped to about 160 on a start attempt. Yes, trying to start the motor did indeed dim the whole neighborhood.

To make a long story short, the service was from a 6 transformer underground network, 4 of the transformers were failed and disconnected, the remaining to 2 were at 200% rating, but ConEd wouldn't do anything about it until the system failed completely.

I have no doubt that the recent heat in NYC pushed many similar situations over the edge into failure. Why Queens? Largely residential, not much development-forced modernization.

Reply to
BFoelsch

The first problem is the Communist News Network (CNN)! Secondly, use Google to search more reputable sources, tons of stories and information.

Any theories on what is causing the New York/Queens power outages? The public news reports are vague and unscientific, but seem to indicate some problem with a failure in distribution.

Here is a link to the recent story:

Brian