USS New York

It's finished, will be commissioned Nov 7

Bow is made from WTC steel.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

That's great Rick..........what is WTC steel? Can't find that in any of metals books. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Steel from the remains of World Trade Center, I would suppose.

Ignoramus16095

World Trade Center?

Reply to
blem

The bow stem was made from recovered World Trade Center steel.

Steve W.

Slightly off the subject, but the web site of the USS NY reminded me:

I went to the Intrepid last week. I hadn't been there in about 4 years. I don't know what I was expecting, but after the multi-year, multi-zillion dollar overhaul, I know I was expecting something more than I got. The exhibits were mostly the same as they were last time. There were a few more restored rooms, crew quarters and the like, but there were far fewer hands-on exhibits. There was a simulator you had to pay for, but not much else. The planes, while always a treat, were pretty much the same as a few years back.

I dunno, the ship is so friggin huge, I was hoping for more of a Smithsonian Air & Space experience.

But don't get me wrong, if you've never been there, it's most definitely worth the trip.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Sorry, correct World Trade Center

Reply to
Rick Samuel

i wonder if the sailors on the USS New York are going to consider it an honor or a jinx.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

I was thinking the same thing.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Let's hope it has better luck than it did there.

God bless her and all who sail in her.

Reply to
John Husvar

Hear Hear!!

Gunner Asch

One hopes that after is came out of the mill, it had only a passing resemblance to its original form and properties, so it's more Voodoo than engineering...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand