Trailer talk

For some time now I've had the remnants of a trailer tent trailer kicking
about the place. It is pretty well ideal for our purposes as it has a wide
wheelbase, torsion rubber suspension, small wheels and brakes both load &
handbrake. It is plated at 400kgs, so should readily absorb most engines one
might cart about the place. To save the Imperialists like me from reaching
for the calculator, that's (round figures) 880 lbs, 62 stone or just under
eight hundredweight.
I finally got a round tuit & last week and stripped off all the plywood,
tailgate, fibreglass box sheeting etc, etc. The brakes are cable operated &
can be trimmed to appropriate length in due course.
The frame was then laid bare & proved to be a rather flimsy looking oblong
steel channel section welded to a pretty massive deep V section axle box. I
angle ground off about a foot from either end, the final overall length
being dictated by where it will be stored.
The end frames I then refitted to the open ends of the fore-and-aft channel
sections. I drilled a pilot holes at the right angles where they met &
opened these out to accept 10mm studding. This had nuts positioned inside
the channels which were tightened both top & bottom using four nuts on one
stud, if you follow me. It is certainly as solid as it was, but this will be
augmented by welding in due course.
The drawbar was now far too long & I took nearly two feet off it , cutting
the welded brackets off and cleaning them up for repositioning. A good
friend makes his living welding important things together, so I simply
repositioned the brackets & pop riveted them into place for welding.
That's as far as I've got. bracing struts & floor, uprights & sides, winch &
telescoping props to follow - more news as it happens.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
- who, upon the 14th of October, has an engagement on a ridge in Sussex.
There, sword in hand, he will do his best to turn away the Norman invader
but will inevitably die with his king.
Reply to
Kim Siddorn
It sounds like you've done a lot of work here Kim, making a big trailer smaller. Will the tent part still fit though or are you shrinking that as well?
It actually sounds like it's being converted to a general purpose trailer. Have you a spare wheel for it? I did a similar exercise some years back and couldn't get a suitable spare anywhere. The originals were 4 stud, 3.5" PCD. I ended up fitting Mini hubs and wheels. The originals were passed on to a gratefull home as they turned out to fit a Mesherschmit 3 wheeler.
John
Reply to
John
Yes, the intention is to make a general purpose trailer.
The weather was nice today, so I wire brushed off the flaking paint & painted on a nice, thick coat of grey primer. Got it all done by dusk, too.