Machining a square section O ring groove

I need to machine a round billet of stainless steel on its flat face with a
square section groove to take an O ring. The OD needs to be about 60 mm,
the ID 50 mm and the depth of the groove 4 mm. I have a smallish (11 inch
swing Harrison) lathe and a Bridgeport universal mill, but very limited
tooling as I am a novice. What is the easiest way to attack this, the
billet is cicular on its OD, can be gripped in the chuch of the lathe, and
the groove will be concentric with the OD. I also have hand wheel roatable
table for the Bridgeport, although I haven't used it and am not even sure
of its proper name....rotary table? :)
I would probably have to buy or make a cutting tool for the lathe as I see
nothing obviously suitable amongst the stuff I have.
Thanks, the thing I need to groove was expensive and I don't want to wreck
it going in blind.
Thanks.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
you should be able to cut this on your lathe using a "trepanning" tool - you can grind your own
Reply to
Bill Noble
If that nasty old rotary table confuses you, I'll take care of it for you :-).
Trepan. You need a trepanning tool, which is much like a cutoff tool except that it accounts for the curve of the cut it makes. Then you get to find out how rigid your lathe is.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
If you aren't comfortable cutting straight in with a square tool you could grind a triangular bit like a threading tool but about 20 to 30 degrees between sides and cut in a little at a time with it. Angle the tool so only the tip cuts, run in with the carriage until it starts to complain, back off a little and cut in or out almost to the other wall. Once you have roughed out most of the groove you can use a square-ended bit narrower than the slot so only one side cuts at a time.
The pointed tool I use is rounded on the end and nearly flat on top so it cuts in both directions. The angle is ~30 degrees. I use it to rough out belt grooves on mandrel-mounted pulleys, which won't stand much cutting force.
jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
You'd best use HSS and low cutting speed, and the lathe is definitely better than the rotary table and mill. The O-ring has to seal against the bottom face, so the finish of that part of the cut is critical. Sidewalls don't need to be exactly at 90 degrees, usually they're low-tolerance.
Reply to
whit3rd
Is the O ring groove on the inside diameter of the big tube? If so I have done it the wrong way in the past. I think to cut a gland, you are supposed to have a boring bare bit ground to the correct width, and just make one cut.
Reply to
clarkmagnuson