WTB 2" Aluminum 6" diameter

I need two pieces of aluminum 2" thick and 6" in diameter...or a piece(s) I can get that size out of. If you have any; price to 76044?
These will be wheel spacers for a garden tractor so alloy or temper is not important. I can find lots of 1" but the smallest 2" so far is 4' x 6'.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's expensive stuff for garden tractor wheel spacers. I'd be looking to fab them out of steel and probably not a solid piece either, like two disks of 1/2" plate with some turned tubular spacers between and welded. The extra weight vs. AL would likely be a benefit for the application as well.
Pete C. wrote:

I agree. Maybe even 1/4" steel, for ease of fab & wide spacers, to resist the torque. Maybe 1-1/2" sch 40 pipe.
Bob

Why so expensive? You can buy ready made spacers for cars; 4 for $120 complete with studs and nuts. 1/2"-20 studs. I need 7/16"-14.
I collect and restore vintage garden tractors. Newest is 1983 model. I've had dual rear lugs for 20 years on my working tractor.
I'm building a custom tractor to pull the others in parades. I finally found some 12" x 12" wheels but need to move them out to clear the frame.
I could build up something out of steel but I'm also adding disc brakes. It needs to be pretty true.
I chose aluminum because of my machining capabilities. Mini mill and 6" craftsman lathe.

I saw 4" diameter at least aluminum at Alco Iron and Metal in San Leandro, CA last week. $3.50 a pound, $30 minium order. They most likely ship.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Trident Metals in Richardson can probably get you the AL you want and deliver it on one of their normal truck runs near your place. They've delivered stuff up to me.

Thanks for the lead. I've found some government surplus spacers; 1.25 OD x 0.468 ID 1.072 long. I can stack them or use them to space out a piece of 1".
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 14:55:39 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You can find something here or on the other pages in the Drop Zone. Note that there's a handling charge for orders less than $75. Yarde's UPS charges are reasonable. http://www.yarde.com/cgi-bin/dropshop.pl?alloy `61-T651++&form=PL&size1=++2.0000
--
Ned Simmons

On Dec 27, 2:55pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I have two pieces of 2028 Alloy Aluminum. Both are 2 inches thick, six inches wide and one piece is about 30 inches long (all corners square) and the other is about 15 inches with one end uneven. I would have to have $1.25 per pound (IIRC Aluminum weighs .098pounds per cubic inch) plus shipping from 68510. You can contact me at the above E-Mail address if interested.
DL
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 14:55:39 -0600, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@aol.com scrawled the following:

Did you just get the Best of Farm Show 2010 catalog and see the guy who dualied out his lawn tractor, front and rear? <g>
-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy
My local sells offcuts for a flat $3.50 per pound 6061-T6. You have to dig in the racks but I can usually find some piece fairly close to net shape. A 6" square, 2" thick would be a bit under 7 pounds, would run around $24 each.
I agree: a fabricated one sounds better.