Making a shear blade

How difficult is it to make a shear blade for a unit like the 37" Pexto shear. Can one be made on a small milling machine?

Thanks

Oliver

Reply to
V8TR4

As a generality it would be real nice if you had at least 1" more travel then blade length. You then must heat treat it and grind it. That makes about three operations not normally performed in a home shop simply because of equipment limitations. I have a fairly complete machine shop in 3200 Sq. ft. of space and can't perform any of the three above operations at 37" long. Oh, I know there are some of you out there that could do it with a body grinder and an oxy-acetylene rig but I have higher standards. Leigh@MarMachine

Reply to
Leigh Knudson