Mamod steam engine drive belts

I want to put two Mamod drive belts to form one longer belt. How do I get them apart?

Reply to
Charlie

I'm not familiar with Mamod belts; I have a Mamod (I think) engine, but no accessories. If it's a flat belt, you might try a turntable belt (for a stereo). The belts are strong and don't stretch. Various sizes are available from

or Google for it. (The URL only specifies make & model, not size, but they may be able to tell you if you ask.)

Joe

Charlie wrote:

Reply to
Joe

If they are the spring steel round belts, then find the joint and twist the ends as if you were unscrewing them. Assembly is the reverse.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks for the help. I tried it, but I am not strong enough to unscrew the darn things. I wonder if maybe somebody added some glue. I think I'll heat them up and see what happens.

Reply to
Charlie

You _may_ be able to cut off the end that goes on the outside of the join and then peel/unwind the remains off the joint. The outside par of the joint is not important, it's the inside 'coned' end of the belt that you need to retain.

Good Luck Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Attempts to unscrew them will simply tighten the grip, unless you do it right. To unscrew the outer one, you have to grip it very near the end, so it will enlarge and loosen. If you grip it near the point where the inner part ends, it will tighten as you attempt to unscrew it.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols